1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drug Test (PLEASE HELP - Not for Youngsters)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Indiana Juno, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indiana Juno

So I recently decided to apply to a grocery store for work, and they apparently do drug testing to screen for employees (THC can be detected but not heroine - go figure). If your advice will be "You shouldn't have used illegal drugs at all, Stooopid" please leave now, we can have debates over personal freedoms in another thread.

Long story short, I've been a regular (pretty much daily) smoker for the past year or so. I haven't smoked in 2 days and I intend to keep it going (it's become something of a dirty habit). I found a website that claims this company THE FRESH MARKET uses saliva tests on its employees.

Does anyone here know how far back Saliva Tests can diagnose usage? I've heard it's 12 hours for THC, but can be more depending on how much you smoke. Am I essentially in the clear? It's been 2 days and hopefully by the time of the test it'll be at least 5 days.

Also, does anyone work for THE FRESH MARKET and know this info to be accurate? The website I found that says they use saliva testing - also says that Trader Joe's does blood, hair, urine and saliva tests, but as a former employee, I know that info is false.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like this job - it's a step in the right direction in my life, but I don't want to be hindered by past mistakes.

2. adam88

Erowid Cannabis (Marijuana) Vault : Drug Testing

See if the above article on Erowid is of any use to you. :slight_smile:

I'm personally against drug testing, luckily in Canada the only drug testing I've heard of was when my roommate got a job as a security guard, and they only test when you apply.

But to work at a grocery store?!? That's draconian.

EDIT: Just gave it a read, the saliva tests are new and they don't know the detection period yet sadly. I'll let you know if I dig anything else up.

#2 adam88, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  3. Indiana Juno

You have no idea, brother. Freedom is one of those words we like to toss around in America. It's one of those cute little things that make us feel special but our lives are pretty much controlled by corporate interests. You mean to tell me if I used THC 12 hours ago, my ability to scan up groceries is impaired? I understand the security guard or the nurse, or the truck driver that has to be tested, but you're right, cashier isn't one of those positions adversely affected by drugs.

1984 wasn't just a book, it was a warning and it's coming true.

Thanks for your help.

4. Alexandria

Oh, you don't want to hear the speech of not doing drugs?

Too f***ing bad.

I am personally sick to death hearing whiners whine about not being able to get work because they failed the drug test

My response? Serves you right.

I've worked in heavy industry most of my adult life, where if one's mental functions are impared in any way, people get hurt or die. Been there, seen it happen, had to dodge asshats like that too many times. While I grant that a grocery store wouldn't exactly be the most hazardous of jobs; even it would have risks in warehousing, baking or meat processing. Personal freedom is one thing, but your freedom to fry your brain stops at my and others safety. This does include even -light- jobs such as a grocery store. Further, an employer does have the right to choose the quality and caliber of employees it hires - and not have to be concerned of if they will show up under the influence of illicit material.

Also, don't hand me any bullshit that you 'need' it. If you did, you'd have a note from your doctor for whatever supposed medical ailment you have to give to your potential employer. Finally, I find it amusing your partaking in a luxury of a drug - while looking for employment. Ya, real mature. No wonder comanies are pushing drug tests more and more these days.

5. AS1989

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Drug tests can be extremely expensive; therefore, most company's don't test every new hire. I used to work for a supermarket owned by The Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company (A&P). While they do drug tests I'd never actually heard of someone being tested.

All that being said, there are multiple reasons why a company might test new hires. To keep good PR (customers don't want to by groceries with their children and have to expose them to even the smell of pot) and even because heavy drug users have to bad name of being thiefs (they figure they'll steal money to keep the habit up).

6. RebelD

I'm with alexandria on this one. This has nothing to do with freedom. Freedom to do drugs?? Then I guess murder, theft, drunk driving and so forth should also be seen as being part of freedom. But I don't know if it works the same there but generally grocers don't do the tests often unless they have had problems or have reason to suspect drug use. Regular testing tends to be too expensive and too much trouble.

But like I said don't know how they do things there.

7. Alexandria

One other thing to note - stating 'not for minors' while posting about illicit activities on a board which gives minors full access is in itself the height of irresponsibility itself; and possibly related to why companies are more and more insistent on testing - to eliminate irresponsible people. Further, given the legal ' gray areas ' this board already occupies, I rather doubt the admins will appreciate this topic at all.

8. Indiana Juno

No, they have NOTHING to do with each other. All the things you mentioned are acts which harm OTHER people, or have the potential to harm other people. What I put in my OWN body is my business. It harms no one else. That's what freedom is. The government telling me what I can and cannot put in my own body is fascism. Weed was legal until the 1930s.

I don't do hard drugs, pills, acid, etc. I smoke a plant that grows in the ground. Millions of tobacco users do it 20+ times a day. Millions drink alcohol, which impairs a person much more and has much deadlier implications. EVERY DAY. Them telling me I can't smoke a plant as a form of relaxation is an arbitrary government mandate.

Alexandria, you talk about heavy responsibility jobs and drug testing. Sure, people die if YOU'RE impaired at work. People wouldn't die if I were impaired at work (not that I would ever smoke before going in). But if I want to smoke after I've gotten out of work, that's my business.

I agree they should drug test for high responsibility jobs. Nurse, truck driver, cop, doctor, etc. I disagree that a grocery store clerk is on such position. Refilling apples puts no one in danger.

The way of life you follow and your set of beliefs are not followed by everyone. Different strokes for different folks. I'm not saying I NEED it. I'm saying I enjoy it like others enjoy a beer after work - and it's a lot less harmful then that legalized drug.

It's only illegal because some men who didn't understand it whipped up legislation banning it in the 1930s - likely fueled by all the accurate propoganda back then that it would turn you funny like "one o' them crazy Mexican folks".

9. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Judgemental tripe.

You do not belong in the 'support and advice' forum if you are going to attack people like this. Butt out. That goes for anyone echoing the same sentiment, too. Your 'advice', if it can be described as such, POSSIBLY belongs in a different thread, but i can tell you; certainly not this one. It was specifically requested that you not do what you did.

If someone makes a cry for help and wants to quit, then fair enough, proselytise away... But this 'pep talk' is not going to convince anyone to quit, it is more likely going to harden the contrary stance against whatever it is you're saying and won't help anybody.

---------- Post added 27th Jan 2012 at 12:54 AM ----------

If i were you, i wouldn't use presumptions about the opinions of the admins of this site as a proxy for the backup of a hostile position you're attempting browbeat someone with, especially since you only joined this month.

#9 Pseudojim, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  10. Daisy1

Hey dude, I feel for you on this one. I suspect I will have to take a drug test in the month so I am currently clearing the herbs out my system. I don't have much to add except:

1) You might be able to buy a saliva test at a drug store. this will give you the opportunity to see if you test positive. If you do, you can fake illness or something for an extra day.

2) Urine tests are much more common because I believe they're cheaper to administer. If there's a chance they give you a urine test instead, you're in quite a bit of trouble because those can detect for weeks. In that case, you just want to drink as much water as you can stomach before the test.

Hope that helps!

D

11. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From memory:

Saliva test is 12 hours, urine is up to a couple of weeks.....

I'M NOT CERTAIN, and some people who aren't either will make assertions... you must do your research and trust your own judgment, since this is so important to you

12. Indiana Juno

Dear Alexandria. If you actually took the time to read my post (rather than being so judgmental about it), you'd have seen that at the time of writing, I had been clean from what I considered a dirty habit, and was making efforts to get clean. Furthermore, I noted that I didn't want to be held back by past mistakes if I was making new changes in my life. So, going with your logic that it's terribly immoral and we need the government to regulate what I put in my body - I agreed to a point (before you even responded) and was making changes to better myself.

Your rant was no different than if I went to a gym and singled out an overweight guy on the treadmill. He's making the effort, who the hell are you to start spitting your ignorance at him?

Second: You find it "amusing" that I was seeking employment and smoking. Your amusement seems to imply that I'm some irresponsible freeloader doing drugs when I don't have money to feed myself. Not that my finances are any of your damn business, but I was holding down 2 jobs at the time of the first posting. I was seeking a 3rd job at the time, and have just been hired at a 4th (which will eliminate my need for the other 3). I'm employable and I never allowed my "horrible out of control" usage to affect me while at work. So yeah. Real mature.

13. J Snow

OP I'm not familiar with saliva testing, but I do know THC can be detectable in the body for up to 28 days or so. Now pretty much every other drug on the planet is testable for about 2 or 3 days. If the saliva test really only detects THC for a few days then I think thats wonderful. The urine tests are encouraging who want employment or may be on probation, etc., to do dangerous drugs instead of smoking marijuana. Thus, I believe drug tests to be harmful to society, at least how they are used to day. And for a grocery store job? Really? That's nonsense.

Agreeing with what's been said above, OP already said he didn't want to argue about or get crap about smoking. He wanted advice. This is a support and advice board... Comparing his behavior to murder is hardly supportive. I also find it ironic that anyone with a history book (or google) can look up prohibition of alcohol and see that providing a black market for drugs to be sold is a major cause of murder and crime.

Though I suppose someone who smoked before work might be tempted to eat the food in the store while they work. Thats not as much of an issue when hiring a murderer. Something to ponder...

14. BudderMC

They're actually quite related. Sure, one you personally ingest, and the others are an action (drunk driving is very borderline here, and I can vouch for that... my dad justified his drunk driving by it only being "his life" he was putting in danger, since he drove into a ditch), but they're still similar. Why? They're both born out of self-gratification. For whatever reason, people feel the need to do these things. And whether you believe it or not, smoking weed definitely affects other people.

Bottom line is, the company is hiring those who aren't under the influence of whatever. If you work for them, you follow their rules. Trying to weasel your way around this test is not only dishonest, but certainly doesn't set you up for anything good in the future in this job. Take the test. If you fail it, you fail it. Lesson learned; maybe it'll be enough motivation to keep you from not smoking anymore.

Daily use of something that you have to force yourself to stop isn't "relaxation", that's addiction, through and through. People do the same thing with a wide range of other non-life threatening things, like shopping and gambling, all to help people cope with their day to day lives. So don't justify it as relaxation please. I've heard that excuse too much in my life and it doesn't ever fly.

If a workplace has some sort of Health and Safety mandate (which I'm sure almost every single one is REQUIRED to), there is risk for your own or someone else's personal well being. Death as a grocery store clerk, not necessarily, but if you're coming to work and they're paying you to be there you have just as much responsibility to do your job as they (and everyone else) expects you to.

This is very irrelevant to your question (justified or not) and quite possibly offensive to a good chunk of people who frequent EC. If you want help, stick to that.

And finally, like I mentioned above, maybe you should fail this. We teach kids that they need to fall down in order to get back up again. If people don't experience failure or difficulty, how are they supposed to learn any better? You certainly don't sound like you're in a spot in your life where you're completely out of options... do yourself a favour and don't resort to sneaking your way around the entrance to a job. That is definitely not a step in the right direction.

EDIT: Let me add, but no means am I saying you're a bad person, or a terrible criminal, or whatever. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders, and more than a decent person. You've got the mentality and motivation to get back on track... so don't take any shortcuts getting there. They're only going to be setbacks in the long run.

15. Indiana Juno

Your argument is flawed. If weed smoking is on the same level as murder or drunk-driving because it's born out of self-gratification, then that makes EVERYTHING WE EVER DO morally wrong. Why do you go out with your friends? Why do you enter into a relationship with someone? Why do you go to work? Go to the movies? Go out to a restaurant? Buy playing cards? Play chess?. All self-gratifying acts which harm no one. The only person it potentially harms is me.

Your father is a completely separate case. In drunk driving, he is being irresponsible with a 3,000 pound vehicle moving at 30-60 mph. It doesn't matter that he drove into a ditch, like you said. He still was potentially putting other people in harm's way. If I smoke something in the privacy of my home, who else is affected?

I'm not smoking before I go to work. I'm not impaired, I'm not working slowly. I fully accept that they don't want me impaired at work. But they don't have a test for people drinking beer 12 hours before their shift. They have a test to detect weed usage 12 hours before a shift. I'm not allowed to drink before I start a shift just like I shouldn't be allowed to smoke before a shift. The only difference is that the company tells me I'm not allowed to do it at any point in time. Why is one acceptable and not the other?

I'm there doing my job. If my performance during those 8 hours is up to scratch, there should be no problem. If I am performing poorly during those 8 hours, then I should be reprimanded or sent home. If the person is doing their job (and we're not talking about safety however dubious that is as a cashier), then drug usage outside is irrelevant. If they're NOT doing their job, their drug use is irrelevant. They're not doing their job, they shouldn't get paid.

I'm not making fun of Mexicans. I'm quoting a lot of the old outdated 1930s-era propaganda that weed was the drug of Mexican workers - Mexicans being undesirables in society. You don't want to smoke something that will make you undesirable do you? That was the message. And even though the racist bits have been done away with (at least overtly), that message still permeates our society while other vices like tobacco and alcohol (which is much more dangerous) get a free pass.

That said, I appreciate your advice.

#15 Indiana Juno, Jan 26, 2012
  16. Hot Pink

Look, I'm not saying that what you do in your free-time is good or bad, but you have to think about what's appropriate for this community. Is this a community for druggies? No? Then why is this being talked about? Sorry, but being an adult is also taking responsibility for the things that you do. If you want to do drugs, I'm not going to stop you, but you should know that everywhere makes you take a drug test.

I also don't think that Empty Closets should condone the use of illegal substances or how to get around drug tests meant to keep employers and employees safe.

17. BudderMC

Exactly. This is the bottom line when you go to work; they pay you to do your job properly, so if you don't, then you lose your job.

Of all drugs, weed is quite possibly the least likely to terribly affect your work. That doesn't really matter though, because at the end of the day, you work for them and you follow their rules. It would, however, probably affect the image of the company as a whole; companies (of any sort) run off of professionals, so when you go to work, you're expected to bring your A-game, since you're representing the company.

You probably would do your job well enough, even having smoked beforehand, to get through without getting fired. But it's not worth it to them to take that risk (for the sake of the company as a whole). Particularly if it's a larger chain or something, this one employee could have ramifications on all the other locations.

18. J Snow

I'm really trying to not go full on rant with this, becuase there have been other debates on marijuana on here before and no one's opinion is ever changed, and usually I just feel like people think less of me for trying to argue that I disagree with its prohibition. But I just can't let this go. Smoking marijuana is not the same thing as murder, theft, or drunk driving. Its not even comparing apples and oranges. Its comparing apples and plutonium!

It really reminds me of the quote by Rick Santorum where he was asked about gay marriage and responded by calling it an issue just like 9/11.

Attached Files:

#18 J Snow, Jan 26, 2012
  19. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this thread has gone from its original purpose to a completely different one. The OP's question has pretty much been answered, and it doesn't seem like there's any reason to continue the current discussion, so I'm closing the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.