1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

in search of resources

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tylerzane69, Jan 12, 2012.

1. tylerzane69

Ok so the skinny on my issue is that I need help finding grants and free money to help fund a drop in center. In just over a year i will have a degree in business and accounting, and want to start a non discriminatory drop in center in my area for local youth. There are many youth in my area who feel like its a good idea but I want to get the ball rolling now and hopefully have it set up by may of 2013. I know there are a few steps that i need to go through first such as applying for a non profit license and creating a name obviously... Which im hoping you can help with too. I have a million ideas fir the concept but lack structure and resources. So here it is I need help with a name for it and hopefully info on where to find grants specifically catered to youth resource center development

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi!

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but finding grant funding, particularly in upstate MI, isn't going to be easy. All of the nonprofits I know that rely on grant money are shrinking, drying up, or shuttering their doors right now. There are 10 times the number of organizations competing for fewer total grant allocations than ever before, so the competition is fierce. And Michigan has been impacted so severely by the recession that I doubt there are many companies or foundations making new grants. And new organizations, in particular, have difficulty getting grant money because there are so many deserving ones with a long track record that are underfunded, and the funders tend to go with a proven track record over a new organzation.

Now... that said, if you really want to make this happen, there's a lot to do.

-- First I'd suggest is find a bunch of well-connected people that have access either to people with money or to executives with corporations that make grants in this sort of area. Get several of those people to agree to help co-found your organization and sit on its board of directors.

-- Find a really good grant writer (these people aren't free, so you may have to pay out of pocket for his or her services) and discuss what you are after, and ask the person to sort of do a quick look-see to see who is currently funding projects similar to what you're trying to do.

-- Then, after those two steps, you will need to incorporate as a nonprofit organization in your state, and then apply with the IRS for tax-exempt status. The exemption application is about 20 pages long, requires detailed essays and explanations about what the organization is doing, why there's a need, what it will accomplish (with specific goals and outcomes) and what sort of budget you expect to make it all happen. You submit the application after you form the corporation and wait (anywhere from 4 months to 2 years) for a decision. Sometimes they come back with questions or concerns which you address and then they continue reviewing the application. Sometimes (rarely, unless your application is professionally prepared by an attorney with extensive experience in nonprofit issues), you get an approval the first time through.

Only after you've actually got your exemption letter from the IRS can you then apply for grants, as no one will give you any grant money until the exemption is established.

Plan on the exemption application and related schedules and explanations taking a ton of time to complete, and plan on each grant application taking as much or more time. (plus fees to the grant writer; don't try to do it yourself.) It's very time consuming, but what you're doing sounds like a worthwhile endeavor, so if you're willing to put the time in, I'm sure it will benefit your community.

3. tylerzane69

That helps, and I have been looking online and it looks like there are grants to help urban areas which I believe my town is considered since we are only at about 30,000 people