1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To move or not to move?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Danny19, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Danny19

hey guys so i have a question. Ive been wanting to move out of my house for a while. Now an awkward situation has happened at my house so its a good opportunity. i signed on to my university roommate finder and someone emailed me saying they are interesting in looking for a place. Now that the opportunity has been presented I'm having second thoughts. I like my house. and my sister is moving out so ima have one room for me to sleep and a game room. but i really want to move out. Idk what to do. so i need some advice. any opinions. pros and cons? anything works. thanks in advance :slight_smile:

2. Hidinginalabama

Ok well from a person that has lived on his own for three years now I think you should think really hard about this. Its not a lot of fun if you dont get along with the person that you live with. And what ever you think its going to cost to live on your own. Its going to cost three times as much. So this something that you really have to think of yourself. What will you get out of living on your own. Yes you dont have to lissen to your parents but at the same time every thing that your parents do for you. You will have to start doing on your own with out asking for help. Washing dishes, washing clothes, cleaning the house. Yes it sounds like so much fun living on your own or at least with a friend but there are times when it really sucks. Like when your having a really bad day and you still and you still have to cook dinner for yourself and right after wash the dishes. But I have to say having people over when ever you want is a really big pluse. Its nice to do as you want all the time but you have to know your limits. You need be able to most every thing on your own. Not saying you cant just that I havent ever met you so I dont know what all you can do. If you could live at your parents house for three weeks with no one around and still be happy then go for it. But think really hard about this cause going back to your parents house after moving out is not something you want to do. Best of luck ether way.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In this economy, it makes a lot of sense to stay at home for as long as possible, save money, and build up your education and skills with someone else footing as much of the bill as possible.

I think hidinginalabama has stated it pretty clearly. However, if there are significant reasons why moving out makes sense (really untenable home living situation, abusive or emotionally unstable parents, etc), then that changes it. But if it's just typical teen/parent individuation that most every teen goes through, I'd encourage you to try and make it work at home for as long as you can.