1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genetic or Environmental

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by robclem21, Jan 13, 2012.

?

Genetic or Environmental

1. Entirely or >50% Genetic

37 vote(s)
    86.0%
  2. Entirely or >50% Environmental

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. robclem21

This has probably been posted before and is inspired by another recent thread. Personally one of my earliest experiences is kissing a guy (4 years old!!) Not even sexual at that age, just childish curiosity I guess. I don't even know how to explain it. It then went away for a decade until I started actually learning about what that feeling was.

Personally I think it's entirely genetic (There are others in my family on multiple generations who are gay). Just wondering what you all think.

2. DhammaGamer

Both

Mental formations (which include habituation and inclination) are one of the 5 clinging aggregates in Buddhist belief. The state and condition of any of the aggregates is determined by the fruition of Karma.

How a person's sexuality develops over the years is a product of actions/speech/thoughts actively committed in this life and in prior lives.

That's what I believe.

I do NOT believe in a gay gene or a gender gene.

3. mAOz

I'm not experienced enough in the matter but I didn't choose to be this way. I am happy tho :slight_smile:

4. hml8

I don't know, as I am disinclined to believe in a gene that makes someone gay, but when I consider the fact that I believe that it's completely natural and not something that someone can change I become slightly confused.

I suppose my belief that it is not changable would lend itself to sexuality being genetic.

5. waitingfordawn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't believe in a gay gene or predisposition to be more attracted to one sex or the other. The scientific "proof" isn't proof enough for me, and I really don't believe in this "born this way" BS. It just seems like an apology to straight people--"sorry, but I was BORN THIS WAY." Yeah, no. Sexuality is something that develops over our lives--not prior to birth. Moreover, sexuality is more fluid than we often give it credit for, sooo... "born this way"? I don't think so. Not that everyone's sexuality is completely fluid, but it isn't always fixed, so to speak.

6. Ianthe

I think it's partly genetic, but entirely biological. (There are hormonal factors that influence prenatal development. It's not all determined just by genes.)

I said "genetic" for your poll.

7. Meropspusillus

If I had to make a hypothesis I'd say that it's "genetic". But I'm actually of the idea that it has to do with the genetics of your mother, more than your own genes.

8. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I say its more genetic than environment. I certainly didn't grow up in an environment where it was encouraged or tolerated, nor can I recall any experiences which would tip the scales one way or another. All I remember is wishing it would go away.

9. Hot Pink

I think it's part genetic, part chemical, and part environment--with varying levels to provide similar results.

10. Mad Man L

I'm inclined to say majority genetic, and minority environmental. So there is a disposition to it, but something has to 'set it off'. Or something like that.

11. Tracker57

I've got multigenerations that are gay in my family, too. I've read stuff from both sides, but for me it's biological. An old roommate who is a therapist "blames" his sexual orientation on his environment and family situation and that may have some effect. (He really argues with me about where my gayness comes from.) For me, I've been gay as long as I can remember. It's my environment that pushed me to "be" straight.

But regardless of the source of YOUR sexual orientation, the quicker you stop fighting and embrace yourself where you are, the better.

12. sanguine

id like to say its genetics, there was an article that theorized that the brain grows in steps and not uniformly, thats why some people know they were gay when they were very young (like me) and others realise at and older age they are gay, these developments begin in the womb, after birth and during puberty, which may lead people into thinking that yes it can be environmental to some degrees.

13. alex7song

I'm saying genetic. I think the attraction part is probably what is genetic, but the stereotypes invented about gay culture (if they are fuffillled by a person) are enviromental.

14. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As with most anything, it's likely a combination of both. Most recent studies are suggesting a primarily genetic cause, however.

15. Branconegro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don´t know if it is genetic. But it´s definitely "natural". Maybe genes, maybe hormones, maybe something in our brains, I don´t know. But I feel that it is in me...

Probably the environmental influences in the time that people discovered themselves as gay. Someone at 6 yrs old, others at 35.

16. aidan

i think genetics is the best way to explain how pervasive it is throughout nature

17. J Snow

I believe it is mostly genetic and hormonal.

I think environment really only plays a factor in how accepting someone is to come out to themselves. Living in a very homophobic household just makes someone more likely to deny it.

18. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I obviously can't speak for anyone else but I am convinced I was indeed born this way. So I think it's genetic. Whether purely DNA or also dependent on chemicals in the womb or whatever. Probably not just your own genes because twins can have different orientations so something from the mother I guess must affect it too.

19. wellhidden

wellhidden Guest

I think we are neither born gay nor straight, and is because of environmental factors that influence how our brain makes connections. If you catch my drift, also i don't think its genetic because how do you explain bisexuality?

As far as my genetic knowledge (although i may be completley wrong) goes a gene may be dominant, resessive or co-dominant, so I am to believe that the "gay gene is resessive" and bisexuality is "co-dominant"?