1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I give up acting at my school?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SRSLYMARK, Dec 22, 2007.

1. SRSLYMARK

Well?

The reason for this sudden moment of indecision is this certain group of people called my "ex-boyfriend and his friends." I know, I'm beating a dead horse. But it's gone a bit too far. They still seem to constantly go around talking trash about me, or doing things to besmirch my name. During our fall play (which is when the break-up occurred), the things they did and the way they acted around me brought me to tears on many occasions.

I LOVE acting. It's something I'm passionate about, and want to continue doing, and the shows that are performed through my school are the easiest for me to audition for and partake in. But is the constant hurt and belittling worth it? Should I quit the drama club and never look back? Cause I'm ready to.

Oh, and btw, thanks to anyone who even thought of me today (it was my birthday)! I had an awesome day, and I love all of my EC family so much. I don't know where I'd be without you all here. (&&&)

2. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Srslymark, why would you want to give up your love of acting because of the actions of other people. True at your age it is most difficult to be considered odd man out, but it actually is ok and you don't have to consider yourself less than anyone else. Your particular passion is acting, then act, not only in the plays you perform in but for now also in front of the people trying to make your life miserable. One of the reasons they do it is because you react in a manner that somehow satisfies them, but in truth any man that has to run someone else down in order to appear tall is neither a man or able to stand tall for anything.

I know what I say may appear to be difficult, but give it a try. It would be so terribly wrong for someone to have to give up something they love to do only because of the actions of a few buttheads. Don't do it. You appear to be much better grounded than they are.

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If acting is something you truly love, you can't give it up. You just can't.

4. CrimsonThunder

Hell no.

Nuff said, don't even think about it.

Happy Birthday btw. =]

5. Hollywood

Hell no. At least in my drama drama department, everyone talks shit about everyone and you just have to ignore it and rise above it, or talk shit back. Haha. I'm sure its worse because of the whole situation, but don't let it get in the way of doing something you love.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the most important things that takes place during the teen years - although it's one that rarely gets talked about much - is the building up of what my friend called "emotional calluses". Early on, casual comments and stray looks can affect you something fierce. You can lay awake at night wondering why John looked at you like that in the hall, or why Austin didn't return your text message, or feeling really ugly because someone you don't know said your hair looked "kinda weird". As you get older, these things affect you less and less. Now, I'm to the point that when complete strangers tell me they hate my work, or tell me I'm too old and ugly to be at the gay bar (both have happened), it doesn't affect me at all. I shrug, make a smart ass comment, and continue on with what I'm doing.

But the early days can be painful, and they can cause us to make decisions that we'd later regret. You say you're considering quitting because it'll end the abuse. Do you really think it will? Do you think if you get out of acting, these creeps will say, "OK, let's find someone else to harrass now"? My hunch is that it'll probably continue - they'll just find something else to harrass you about. Maybe your clothes, or your other friends, or whatever hobby you pick up next. They'll keep at it because it's WORKING. They WANT a reaction, and you quitting acting would probably just add fuel to the fire.

So I'd urge you to stick with acting. Be defiant. "The best revenge is a life well lived", they say, and by sticking with it, you're sending a message (and a metaphorical middle finger) to your ex- and his brood: "You can't control me."

As far as the abuse goes, and your building of your "emotional calluses", that's sort of another longish topic - we can discuss that later if you want.

Lex

7. Tom

Tom Guest

u shud never give up something that you love for a bunch of twats as tht is what they r and they just arent worth it.

happy birthday btw =]

8. sdc91

Why would you even consider it if you love it so much? You wouldn't want to stop now and regret it 10 years down the road because of some idiot.

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree with everyone above.

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Noooooooo...........don't give it up! You are worthy and valuable and an asset to the program! Just because some others are acting like immature idiots, is no reason for you to give up something that you are passionate about! Hang in there...they will get bored soon and stop the cruelty. (*hug*)

11. Quasar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If these people want to keep 'hurting' you, then even if you give up acting, they'll find another way to keep taunting and upsetting you.

The minute you give up acting, they've won! Why give them the satisfaction?

I've worked in theatre for the last 20years, and some of the most talented people I've worked with have a life story that starts pretty similar to yours. Instead of trying to fend off the insults, putdowns, rumours etc, they've absorbed them and use the hurt and anger they feel to drive the passion in their work. Actors use it in characters, composers use it to drive emotion in their work, artists derive their work from it, and dancers vent it through movement.

Yes, it hurts at the moment, and if any of us could stop that for you we would. Your acting is one of the things in which you can totally immerse and lose yourself. It might seem that at the moment it's both your saviour and enemy, but trust me, you must continue with it.

Oh, and enlarge your circle of friends if you can so that you surround yourself with positive vibes - you deserve it!

12. panda

Never give up something you love.:eusa_naug :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

13. simon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well if you love acting then you should keep at it. don't let other people change your mind about what you want to do.

i send my love

14. OneHatMadder

Hey sugar.

Well I myself grew up on the stage. I've been acting since I was five and I love it so I can understand.

HOWever you CAN'T let some fool get in the way of your passions! If he tries anything just show him that you're above him and that you're too in love with performing to let his pathetic little vendetta get in the way.

Good luck with whatever you try my love!

-Mama-
    XoXo
    P.S if you need help just PM me. :grin: