1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways to feel better immediately ?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alan t, Jan 14, 2012.

1. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm feeling really lonely and sad and bored right now. Can I do anything, right now, about it?
    I don't need long term advice I just dont want to continue like this for the rest of tonight and tomorrow

2. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Do you have anyone you could talk to? Some company?

3. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No.I don't really have many friends. I already phoned my brother and talked to him for a while but I don't know anyone else to talk to

4. Jonathan

The best way to get a quick fix on this would be try to find something to distract yourself with. You could talk to friends, talk to people on EC, play a game, watch a movie, etc. Find something that you like to do and use it to take your mind off of what your feeling. Once you're not thinking about it, it gets better.

5. kirbycat

If it's not too late in the night, do you have a friend you could call and chat with? Maybe make plans to meet for lunch or something tomorrow? If there's no one you can call, plan some fun activity for yourself tomorrow; going shopping at a new store, checking out a local museum, planning a big delicious meal...whatever you'll enjoy. Giving yourself something fun to look forward to will help lift your spirits.

If you have the energy, crank up your favorite happy-music and sing along while you clean the bathroom, wash dishes, or whatever cleaning needs to be done. A little physical activity always helps - plus you'll have the added satisfaction of checking something off your chore list!

When I'm dreading going to bed in a depressed mood, and all else fails, I like to cozy up in bed with a good dramatic film I haven't seen before - something really intelligent, thoughtful, or intense, that will really engage my mind and give me something besides my own woes to wrap my thoughts around as I go to sleep.

6. BluestBlue

I'd say first off, do something that makes you happy. Or if that's a little difficult to come by at least something distracting. Personally, I like collecting skills. Things like juggling can be very mind focusing and can help zone out background feelings like sadness (well, I've always found it helpful).
    My other get happy fast method is to be hyper organized and then achieve everything planned. Even if it's tiny things like make mum a cup of tea, take the dog out for a run, shower, tidy desk space for 20 minutes then go to bed, for example. The satisfaction of completing tasks just does it for me... ocd much? Oh, the exercise bit of the example makes me happy really quickly too, and I stay feeling good for a while after.

But, by far was instantly makes me incredibly happy, almost euphoric is the rain. Everyone I tell this to says they have no idea what I'm talking about, but I believe it's more accessible than people think. For whatever reason, I find absolute joy in pretty much everything. I still feel negatively from time to time but i find it really difficult to stay like that when there are things like the universe and technology and hamsters. Any documentary type program involving Stephen Hawking or Brian Cox usually puts me in an awed stupor that banishes room for feeling down about anything...

I've probably just waffled a load of unhelpful nonsense to you but all I really want to say is that things can always get better. I hope you don't feel like this for much longer.
    Peace xx

7. Markio

Go on a decent walk, down a street you haven't been down. Bring your phone for safety.

Stand in the bathroom. Make weird faces until you laugh at yourself.

Go to a local library and check out their selection of books and DVDs. While there, fake an aspect of yourself, such as a limp, a New York accent, or even just a lower voice. Try and make it believable, so that it's a secret.

Google "terrarium jar." Or "banana slug." OR, "lighthouse."

8. Skiel

Skiel Guest

Well it depends. What usually lifts your mood? Just do that. Or you could watch your favorite shows, funny videos or CUTE youtube videos on baby animals :lol: Or what sometimes works for me is to scream into a pillow :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: or exercise such as running, do pushups and etc. to relieve some tension. Hope one of these suggestions will help you :slight_smile:

9. Ianthe

Actually, strenuous exercise is a pretty good suggestion. It's not necessarily particularly fun while you're doing it, and it may be hard to push yourself, but endorphins should kick in, and that should get rid of the blues.

Or, do something creative. Or get something done that you keep meaning to do, but you keep putting off--that can be satisfying.

Since you say you don't have a lot of friends, look into activities (to get involved in soon) that you could meet new people.

Maybe plan something fun to do tomorrow--preferably something that will bring you into a social situation somehow, since you are feeling lonely. :icon_bigg

10. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ive tried playing music I like. I tried going outside for a walk just now but it's -20 tonight so I came back because walking around isn't very pleasant.
    I don't have any movies here right now and I can't exercise because it's -20 outside.
    I know It sounds like I'm making up excuses for everything

---------- Post added 15th Jan 2012 at 12:07 AM ----------

like what? Ive tried and tried to find activities or things to do that are on weekends and I can't find anything. Maybe I don't know where to look.

---------- Post added 15th Jan 2012 at 12:10 AM ----------

I don't understand banana slug and lighthouse?

11. BluestBlue

12. ESevee

Listen to music up beat stuff .

13. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

alan, loneliness is one of my core struggles...i really don't have a lot of friends, so i've gone through this a lot. an older friend of mine (older people sometimes have tons of wisdom) told me two things that have stuck with me forever.

a. she said, "loneliness is a false concept that you are unworthy of being loved". huh? after i thought about it for a while, i realized - wow, that's why i can be in a crowd of a million people in times square new york city or in a room alone in indiana and feel the exact same loneliness in both places. the feeling that there's nobody here to love me. and because there's no one pouring anything in, i just don't feel lovable. i want someone to fill me or i feel empty. (i have these tapes that replay in my mind over and over that i'm a worthless slob - my dad and older brother really did a job on me)

so many times alan, i've had to spit out that poison and start drinking in some truth. the truth alan, is just because there's no one there does not mean you are not deeply lovable, wonderful, dynamic, beautiful, tender hearted, talented, interesting, smart or charming. not even knowing you well, i'll tell you, these are all true about you.

b. second suggestion - journal! - but you have to do ALL three - the first two could be a few pages, but no matter what, the last one HAS to happen!

write down the three what's:

1. what you feel. ex. i feel angry [obviously write more than this. psych lesson 101, a lot (not all) of depression is caused by anger turned inward.]

2. what is at the root of it (someone really hurt me and it relates to me feeling like crap from a long time ago etc.)

3. what is the truth - and i'll tell you, there is ALWAYS hope in truth. the truth will ALWAYS set you free, the truth is pure, honest, undeniable love that says that YOU are a gift and were made to be a gift. it was never intended that you and i were hurt, nor should we remain in shame or despair. again there is always hope in love. apply truth to every aspect of #1 and #2.

idk, alan. i just understand and wanted to write a little of what i do sometimes when i'm lonely, it's tough and sometimes i cry, but afterwards, i feel like a weight's been lifted... and it usually... it is.

anyway bro, standing by you as best i can. (*hug*)

~ me

14. stumble along

Damn you auto correct

Cheers me up every time

BTW I'm also incredibly bored and lonely about 80%-95% of the time

15. kirbycat

One awesome way to beat routine loneliness and boredom is to find some opportunity for volunteering in your community. It's something to get you out of the house that's not work/school, it'll push you to interact with new people and possibly make friends, and you gain the satisfaction of knowing you're contributing something positive to the world. If you're not sure what's available in your area, a couple google searches ought to bring up some stuff. Or just try calling around to different organizations in your town; places like soup kitchens, homeless shelters, public libraries, nature centers, etc. are always happy to hear from people interested in lending a hand. Even if it's something as mundane as sorting cans at a food pantry, nothing boosts your sense of self-worth like realizing you have something to offer the world!

I'm loving the positivity in this thread - I've picked up a few good ideas for myself too! :thumbsup:

16. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What always works for me is cooking. Not a TV dinner or even "bake a steak, warm some beans and boil some potatoes", but something slightly more ambitious.

What works best for me is some kind of dessert or the like that is not too complicated, but still guaranteed to take an hour or so to cook up (and clean the kitchen afterwards). You're busy while doing it, you can taste during it, you can get inspiration for your next culinary pursuits, and you might even improve on the recipe.

And afterwards, it tastes doubly as good because you made it yourself. Plus, it's a skill that never fails to impress. And in my experience, favourite dishes and how to cook them always makes for some good conversation material.

One other thing I often do if I'm bored (not just if I'm bored, though) is just see if someone's in the chatroom. Not to sound like some kind of shill for our chatroom, but while I generally dislike chatrooms, I have enjoyed the EC chatroom a lot so far. I have ran into discussions that were pretty nice as a diversion. So you might want to apply for full membership and use that option. That wouldn't get sorted in one or two days, though.