1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tired of family's bigoted religious views

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bdman, Jan 15, 2012.

1. bdman

So I just came back from a birth-day party at my parents. Everybody on this planet falls into two categories, those that "know god" and the "others". The others are all evil until they come to know god. At the table, the discussion started to revolve around politics. I sat and listened to how horrible Obama is. How the non-Christians want to let the gays take over the country. How wonderful Rick Santorum is. What Pat Robertson says about who to vote for, and that the stage is set for the anti-Christ to swoop in and bring forth the end of the world.

I made up an excuse to leave early, I just couldn't take it anymore. These are the people I'm supposed to eventually come out to. back to :icon_sad:

2. dreamcatcher

Dude I can completely relate. I spent part of my winter break hearing about how people need to open up more of those pray the gay away clinics like Michele Bachmann did. Oh and the whole gays are taking over the country? If I had a dime for every time I heard that one :dry:. I wish I could say something that could make you feel better, but unfortunately, when it comes to this situation, I'm also at a loss. I think you made a good decision in leaving early. I've tried to convince my parents that they're wrong in thinking the way they do but in the end, I never win... :frowning2: Therefore, it's probably for the best if you avoid these type of conversations with your family as it will only make you feel crappy afterwards since they will probably not change their minds either.

If you feel like venting some more or swapping stories about our homophobic families feel free to message me :slight_smile:

3. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    All I can suggest is to find ways to avoid them. Maybe your life could become a bit busier, hmm? Everyone could use a hobby sometimes (especially one that makes them unavailable.)

4. jlg65

Stick to what you believe. Argue the points that they bring up. Show them how they are wrong. My family is the same way. I can't go a night without hearing about the holy Glenn Beck or the sinfulness of homosexuality. But i always keep in mind that they are wrong. Its interesting to hear opposing view sometimes. It helps cement my beliefs and ideals. I'm not sure what advice to give but just learn from their ignorance or ignore them. Good luck

5. jake v

Politics is never a fun subject especialy when one party hates who you are. Before I came out I just sat there and didn't say too much and when I had to say something I could never bring up homosexuality so I used different hot topics to argue. Now that my parents know I'm gay and they started praising Romney and Santorum I just unloaded. To be honest I don't thing what I said is even appropriate for the internet. My super conservative dad actually started to understand and came close to agreeing at points.

So if you can't say what you want to get some other points to bring up and argue about, it might help you for a while.

6. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

im not sure how old you are but what i think is that you should really find a support system and unfortunately sometimes your family (the closest ones to you) aren't really going to be that supportive. so you have to find people (frends adn counselors and other loved ones) that can support you. that is very important. and when you are strong and you have some distance from the current living situations with the negative comments, then you can come out to them if you wish but you will not have to rely on them for support because you will have your other support system. sure if they support you that is awesome but given what you have said i would not focus on them for that.

7. J Snow

I fit makes you feel any better my family is the same way (I went to 13 years of Catholic school). Coming out sucked, and they didn't accept it, but you know what? I still live with them. They still say I love you. And, I still hold on to the hope that they will come around. Your parent's "faith" may have blinded them, but you should have faith in something greater, the good inside of other people.

Things will get better (*hug*)

8. bdman

Thanks to everybody. I felt really bad last night and I know this is going to be a problem for me for a long time to come. I am growing increasing uncomfortable with my family, they can probably tell but don't know why. They will try to talk with me to figure it out, but I am not ready to be honest with them and therefore will continue to make up excuses to explain my behavior. I know cutting them off will hurt them, especially if they don't know why. However communicating with them will put them in an impossible to resolve situation which will change our relationship forever. I'm not ready for that yet. So in the mean time, I have to figure out a better way to handle my emotions when with family, which is quite frequently.

thanks again.

9. unknown12

I encourage you to go through my threads. It may seem like Left and Right now, but it CAN change. It may take time for your parents to accept it, just like how long it took for you to accept yourself.

It will get better!

10. Mister Gaga

Dude you just described my life, that's exactly how I feel and what I think!
    I just ignore them, cause arguing with them will out me as gay, and atheist, which is probably worse than being gay for them.

11. Jim94

I have the same situation as you and what I can say is that you just need to avoid them when they talk about religion and politics and these stuff , it doesnt help that much but still , you dont need to feel bad about yourself.