1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Test Drive, well sort of

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by toremi, Jan 15, 2012.

1. toremi

toremi Guest

So last night, a cpl of friends and I decided to pull a bit of a trick on one of my good friends I hadn't seen in a cpl months now. Well I decided to and everyone followed suit.

I decided by trying to make her guilty for not being around and told her so much had changed. She was talking about her boyfriend and I was kinda of joking with her about it to which she replied for me to stop being jealous. So in this moment was where I came up with my plan. I told her I had met someone since she last saw me.

She was shocked, and rightfully so cause I haven't been in a relationship in a WHILE (mainly cause I am trying to figure my stuff out.

But something crossed my mind; what would she say if I were to tell her I were bisexual and it was a man I was dating. What would the initial reaction be, how would she feel about it. I knew it wouldn't be like the real deal when I do it to everyone for good but I thought maybe I could get a glimpse into a reaction with my little white lie for the night. So I did it, I told her I had met a guy -- started liking him and decided I was bisexual.

Her reaction was less than favorable.

She wasn't non-accepting but I now understand the when people describe their loved ones reactions. The shock. The "are you sures". The "disappointed but acceptance". Now obviously this was just a glimpse at the INITIAL reaction of this type of thing but I don't know if I would ever have the strength of doing that multiplied by 1000 times over!

In the end we told her we were only kidding, cause a cpl friends got in on it with me to really fool her (we just wanted to tease her and try n make her feel a little guilty about not being around). But that was my first glimpse into the reaction I would get and honestly it scared me! Once again I know it's not comparable to the real thing, and it wasn't exactly the worst reaction but honestly I was expecting more of an "i suspected reaction", especially since I lived with her for period of time. In fact that was the hardest thing for her to believe, that I was bisexual, of anyone! I couldn't believe it, I assumed if I were to make a revelation like that to most it would be like, "Yeh we kinda knew"

Anyway that was my weekend oddity.

2. jake v

I have had a tiny bit of experience with examples like this, more of just agreeing with the "you're gay" comments. During the joke its not a real reaction because even though they aren't positive its a joke they don't see any real sincerity in you. When I came out for real to those same people, it was a much more favorable reaction. I believe it is because I was telling them from the heart when I really came out. In the end what you did might make it harder for people to believe you just for the way you did joke about it but every person is different.

3. toremi

toremi Guest

Yeah I thought of that AFTER of course. Like if/when I say it for real, they are gonna be like -- so when you were joking back then you really weren't joking.... or are you joking now.

Stupid, stupid! :S