1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I went to the pool today...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Charni, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I had to go swimming from 4:30 to 6:30, without a shirt or bra (even though I don't have a bra but still...), in a really big public pool with heaps of people. I have never felt so embarrassed and ashamed in my life. I feel so dirty and disgusting. I feel violated. I had to swim topless for two whole hours with people around seeing my chest. I wanted to cry so much.

2. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry to hear about this, obviously I don't have any experience with problems like this but hopefully somebody else will (*hug*)

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could you not just wear a shirt? I've seen people (boys and girls) wear t-shirts in a pool and that's sort of gender-neutral so you could get away with it without raising concerns.

Alternatively, you could reframe the situation and work on being comfortable with your body. I realize at your age that's a bit of a challenge, but there are clothing-optional beaches and hot springs all over where people are comfortable being nude or topless, so perhaps if you work on thinking about yourself as being comfortable with your body and not ashamed if people see it, it will be less of a problem for you.

4. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    Some public pools ask that you don't wear anything with cotton material- something about how it can clog the filter or something, not entirely sure. I wish I could give some advice, but I'm not sure I totally understand what happened.

5. Daisy1

Sorry, Charni. That really sucks.

6. Hexagon

Damn, that sucks. Couldn't you get a swimming shirt made out of swimming suit material? I had one a few years ago. But I have to admit, I just don't swim anymore.

7. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Mum made me take it off. I argued with her for about five minutes but she still made me take it off.

8. DhammaGamer

Yea, I have been going out to my moms place for years to swim in the lake she lives on. She and her husband have a boat they use every day. I'm not quite sure how things are going to go this summer, since I'm planning on having at least some breast development by august.

I'd say just relax for now, hon. There's nothing you need to hide yet. I would understand if you had breasts and they were making you swim topless it would be a different matter, but for now you still have a boys body. It's terrible I know, but one day you'll have a reason to cover your chest at the pool.

Your parents and others still see you as a boy, which is to be expected. You look like a boy. Give it time and be patient with them, with yourself, and with the process of transition. If having to go topless at the pool ends up being the worst part of your transition, you can consider yourself blessed.

Besides, there are plenty of women who wish they could go topless at the pool lol Enjoy it while you can :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: