1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mlpguy88, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Has this ever happened to you?

During the beginning of December I was very ready to come out when my winter break came. But then of course, something had to get in the way(health problems, I won't go into the details) and then I lost all my ambition with coming out and dealt with my health problems. And even though my opportunity has past and my health is getting better, I now have no motivation for coming out in the future. I don't really know why, I feel like someone has knocked me on my ass.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

2. Vesper

Yes. I told myself I would tell my parents during my birthday, but then panicked at the prospect and abandoned the idea. I later decided that I should wait until I land a job or pass the CPA before I tell them. Who knows, I might panic and change my mind again. It's pretty normal--coming out is commonly a nerve-wracking experience.

3. Raj

Raj

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Same thing happening to me now. 2 weeks ago I was very ready to come out. It kept me up at night thinking about it. Not sure what the exact cause was but now I have no desire to. It is kind of discouraging I thought I was finally moving forward in my life and now I'm back standing still. I started a new job about a week ago and I tell myself this is why. Maybe after I have been in the job a while I will find the same desire I had a couple of weeks ago. We will see.

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out is hard - even if the health problems didn't themselves expressly prevent you from doing it, they probably gave you a reason not to, and now, as you say, you've lost your drive to come out.

Why did you want to come out in the first place? What drove you to want it before?

5. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why did you want to come out in the first place? What drove you to want it before?[/QUOTE]

It was really bothering me to keep this in for as long as I have, but now the feeling is gone. It took me my whole life to feel ready to do it, and now that the feeling is gone I'm just worried that it will takes me years to be ready again.
    I'm probably being irrational but it's just an odd feeling to have.

6. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, did it literally take you your WHOLE life? Or just several years, or even just a few?

Try not to overemphasize it for yourself, so to speak. It sounds like you genuinely want to come out, and if that's the case, I'm sure you will some time. You could flip it around and say that, since you've already managed to work up the courage to do it, you know you'll be able to again.

Overall, I'd say don't force yourself to hold on to feelings that you may be having for very good reasons at the moment. It definitely sucks to have been sidetracked on your coming out plans, and I think it's totally reasonable to respond with the feelings you're having. Just be careful not to force yourself into *thinking* (as opposed to feeling) that now you're stuck, it'll never happen, you'll never be able to again, etc. etc. etc. Because that will only become true if you make it come true.

7. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Yeah, I've gone through those phases. It's frustrating, I know. Just make sure you know you're completely ready (emotionally and logically) to come out when/if you do.

8. Chimera

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone who's dealt with acute and chronic health problems I feel your pain. When I'm recovering from a flare-up I get that "knocked on my ass" feeling that makes me lose all motivation, and it's easy to feel like the depression will last for the rest of your life. Do allow yourself the time and patience to regain your physical and emotional energy before making any life altering choices :slight_smile:

9. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

10. Holmes

There are two things worth remembering. You're life will in the end be a lot better once you do come out, because you won't be causing yourself all this inner anxiety. That's even if it does take time for some people to adapt. The other is that even though you should come out, don't hold it against yourself for wanting to do it at a good time. There will always be an excuse of some sort, but if you're going through a rough patch that you can see a clear end to, don't pressure yourself unduly.

11. Jski

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OMG yes! I was ready to come out to my fiends and brothers and then I got kidney stones! But it was during college finals too. Basically the worst 2 months of my entire life. But now it's done and over with and I told all my friends and brothers and they are happy for me and I'm happy myself.