1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Raug, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Raug

The other day my mom saw cuts on my arm. My therapist says I have severe depression and possibly ADD. They want to put my on lexipro. Has it helped for any of you?

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Not sure about drugs, so I'll let someone else answer that part.

Have you been talking to your therapist about why you are depressed? Doe he know exactly what its bothering you?

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is your therapist a psychologist or psychiatrist? (a psychiatrist is an MD, a psychologist is a MA or Ph.D.)

If your therapist is a psychiatrist, I'd try and get an appointment with a psychologist or social worker before going on the antidepressants, as psychiatrists are generally really quick to prescribe drugs. You may need medication, depending on how severe your depression is, but as Gus said, if you haven't had some time to discuss and work through what is contributing to the depression, then immediately putting you on an antidepressant may not be the best choice. And psychiatrists prescribe drugs... that's what they do... and so when you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail :slight_smile:

Lexapro is a pretty common antidepressant and I know people who have used it and benefitted from it. It can have some side effects, but you need to weigh the beneficial effects against the side effects. If you are having a hard time functioning, and have been depressed for a while and tried therapy for at least a month or two without success, or are so depressed that you have trouble getting through the day or are thinking of harming yourself, then an antidepressant makes sense. But I would give some thought to it, and maybe get a second opinion, before going on Lexapro.

4. climbingivy

^^What Chip said.

Also, thought I'd respond since I was on Lexapro for a few months when I was 15. For me, it was sort of a middle range anti depressant in terms of side effects and overall mental clarity (I'd been on a few). It made me fall asleep a lot and I felt a bit foggy. I didn't hate it, but ultimately, I think I went off it because it made me too tired. One of my friends also went on it around the same time and I believe it affected her quite strongly. She really disliked being on it and talks about it to this day. Basically it made her tired and super emotional (mostly angry) all the time. But, medications can affect each person differently. If you do go on any medication I'd suggest finding someone outside of the person prescribing it that you feel you can talk to honestly. As Chip said, the people who prescribe can be a bit near-sighted.

5. Raug

I'm on the pills now. My doctor perscribed them. He's also my uncle.

6. Tracker57

I have depression issues, too. I go to a psychiatrist who prescribed Lexapro for me. It helps me. But everyone is different. It is good to get help. You may also want to see a counselor or therapist to help you through your depression.

Tracker

7. TraceElement

I am on Celexa for depression, anxiety, and OCD. It has definately helped take the edge off, so to speak. I have also cut in the past, so I can relate. If you are wary about taking the medication though, talk with your treatment team. While you are a minor, you are at the age where you can have input in your medical treatment, and voice any concerns.
    You said you may have ADD. While I am not trying to say that you don't have ADD, I know that a symptom of depression is the inability to focus. Talk with your doctor about this, and see what they say.