1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm on an emotional rollercoaster!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by beckyg, Dec 23, 2007.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well for weeks, I've been excited about Christmas and having all my kids here. My daughter is going to arrive from Arizona on Christmas morning so I have been really excited to see her. So now my son tells me he's moving to Lousiana on January 2nd. So now I don't want Christmas to come because its just closer to the time he's leaving. I'm a wreck! Up, down, up down!

:tears:

2. s5m1

That does not sound like much lead time. Why is he moving?

3. Ty

Ty Guest

Becky, Its best to enjoy the time you have with your kids, don't let thinking about the future ruin the present =]

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well a bunch of things contributed to the decision. He managed a health food store here in Oregon. Well the owner is having financial difficulties. The store isn't making as much as she had hoped. Her attorneys told her to close it so he loses his job at the end of the month. He's also a massage therapist. His boyfriend for a couple of years lives in Louisiana and they have been having a long-distance relationship which is very hard. The boyfriend was supposed to move out here in January but he was offered a tuition paid college education to become a drug and alcohol abuse counselor which he couldn't hardly refuse. So when my son lost his job, he decided to move out there and be with him. I'm happy they are going to be together but sad because I won't see him nearly as often. He's checked into taking the state exam for massage therapy in Louisiana and hopefully getting a job at a spa. I really like the bf. He called me the other day and said "This is your favorite son-in-law." :roflmao: How cute is that?

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That sounds exactly like the advice I would give! How did you get so smart? :roflmao:

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes people need to hear the advice they've dispensed tossed back at them. :slight_smile:

My mother went back to college several years ago to earn her teaching certificate for the state. I stopped by once while she was studying, and I asked her how it was going. She said, "Oh, this computer stuff is hard. I think I kind of understand it, though, and I'm pretty sure I can get a B on the test."

I looked at her severely and said, "So you're a B student? That's what you're telling me?"

She looked back at me and said, "You've been waiting years to say that back to me, haven't you?"

She got the A. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. s5m1

Becky, you should be very proud to have raised a son who has the self-confidence to make such a move. As parents, we try to do what we can to raise these little people into self-suffcient adults. You have obviously done a great job there.

I moved a long distance from my family fairly recently, for business reasons. Because there are more miles between us now, and we cannot visit as often, those times when we do are extra special. The holidays almost have a new meaning to them, and I look forward to them even more than I had in the past. My family and I have actually also made an effort to communicate more often, with quick phone calls or emails. I recently learned that webcams are easy to set up so you can see the person you are talking to.

8. Tom

Tom Guest

aww Becky as Ty said do enhoy the time you have with ypour son, and just think that he is going to be with who could be the only one he loves more than you =] and as u said he is losing his job and so this way he has a chance to do what he wants and be with his guy, if i had tht choice i know id definetly go for it!

9. sdc91

You're not the only one, Becky! My older brother is moving to South Carolina on the 3rd (and he's leaving New Year's Eve to drive there), but I'm not letting that ruin my holidays.

Enjoy the time you have, and Merry Christmas!

10. Hollywood

I guess you have to look at it that you're lucky for the close, personal relationship you've had with him for all this time. I know for my family, I'm the last of three and when I leave in eight months, all of us will be scattered all around the country, minus my sister and her fiance. You've been lucky to be this close to him, emotionally and phyisically (my mother and I fight literally every day) and, as hard as it is, he has to distance himself in some respets eventually.

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

By listening to you!

He's right though. You have the opportunity to have a great family Christmas together, so make the most of it. Don't think of January, think of making this Christmas one to remember.

Then he is moving in with his partner which is wonderful, and has some good career stuff lined up ahead of him. Be proud and pleased that things are coming together so well for him. This is the son you raised, confident in life and with a good future ahead. :thumbsup:

It's a shame that it isn't closer to you, but with the telephone and internet the distance isn't so great. I'm sure you'll manage to keep in touch and keep updated on his new life.

12. Jim1454

That's rough Becky! I hope you have a great holiday with your whole family.

I can't imagine moving that far away from my family - especially since having children. The 'poineer spirit' seems to be alive and well in the USA. It seems that people move all over the country for their work. I can only think of one relative (a 'third cousin') that now works in Vancouver. Otherwise, there isn't anyone in the family that has moved away from the Toronto area.

The great part is that you all 'go home for the holidays' too! So you'll have next Christmas to look forward to when the whole family congregates again in Oregon!

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks for the good advice everyone!