1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not LGBT related, but...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nerdvain, Jan 20, 2012.

1. nerdvain

...it's a pretty big thing here on which I'm deciding.

Okay, so. Backstory.

I'm a senior in high school. Graduating in June, finally.
    College-wise, I know where I want to go: Arcadia University for International Studies. I love language/linguistics/psycholinguistics/culture, and they're amazing for that.

I applied, got accepted, they gave me a scholarship, etc. All good stuff.
    They then sent me a letter offering me to apply for their rare FYSAE (First Year Study Abroad Experience) program, for which I could apply to spend either my first or second semester of my freshman year in either London, England or Stirling, Scotland. Same tuition, same costs, same scholarships. The trip itself costs only $495. I applied for London in the Spring semester, and had my phone interview ~2 weeks ago.

Got my decision letter in the mail yesterday.

All the slots for London were full, as were all the slots for spring; I was selected to go to Stirling for the Fall semester, should I decide to go.

I have no issue with Scotland; in fact, I think it'll be a lovely place.

Here's my issue:

I've never traveled far before. I've been to a few states on vacation or on a field trip, but nothing too far from home. I've never had to face too much adversity or adapt to a completely new situation, not to mention in a new country.

And as much as spending 4 months abroad seems like the perfect place to start, the problem is that this is college we're talking about. And the first semester of my first year. So not only do I have to adapt to college life and a college workload, but I have to adapt to it in an entirely alien place. Were it spring for which I was selected, I'd have time. But this is unfortunately not the case.
    On the other hand, this is a rare opportunity to do something amazing I don't want to pass up. I just don't know how wise it would be to take the offer now or to wait to study abroad until I'm used to a college workload.

What do I do? Hit the ground running and take up the opportunity to start my experience in something I really love?
    Or realize that I may have to delay it for my own good? Would it be worth the stress level?
    I have until May to decide, so I have time. I want to make as informed a decision as absolutely possible.

Advice/insight/help?
    I need a pros/cons list, and anyone with experience or good advice would be a hero in my book. :slight_smile:

2. dreamcatcher

Ahh first of all, hooray you're from philly! I used to go to Temple U :slight_smile:. But back to your topic...

This is indeed a rare opportunity but you also have some valid concerns. From your backstory, you've said that you've never been very far from home. I'm assuming you grew up in the same place for most of your life? For some people like this, they do get homesick. I did know some people that their first semester of college, they went home a lot because they had a hard time adjusting to college and missed the ease of high school. These people grew up with a lot of the same friends from their town and when you're in a university, things are a lot more impersonal and you have to really try to get to know people, unlike in high school. College also requires a lot more independence and maturity, so if you're lacking in these areas, you may struggle. You could very well get homesick, especially in a new country. It could be even worse there since you won't be able to go home whenever you want. However...

If you pass up on this opportunity now, will you get another chance to do this? With the same scholarships, same tuition, same everything? Lets say you do delay the opportunity. What happens if you get a really good job near your home that you can't pass up? Or a really good internship locally that could get you a job? You probably might not want to leave that to go study abroad since that could really help you in the job search and they're rare to find. So then you might not end up going at all. Something else might happen in the future that's personal or related to your family and that might hold you back too. The future has too many variables and right now, there is nothing holding you back except your fear of failure! You're scared to take the plunge. You could get stressed from the difficulty of learning a new language, but you may also find it exciting. You may feel lost adapting to a new country, but sometimes getting lost in a new country is an adventure all on it's own. Sometimes by getting lost and putting yourself in a situation you've never been in, you learn a lot about who you are as a person and that in itself, is an invaluable lesson.

Most people don't get the chance to do something like this. And many people will tell you it gets harder to travel abroad in the future with all the responsibilities that accumulate as you get older. I know it seems sudden, but life really is all about risk. Going on this trip is a huge risk, but as with all huge risks, there is always either a big reward or a big loss. So think about it carefully and then let us know what you decide.

3. stuwee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :thumbsup: Go for it !! You'll love it, seriously being home sick is a given, but with the internet, no one is really that far, set up a support group of friends at home, stay in touch, I bet you $100 they'll all be jealous of your pics, experinces and adaptabilty (I drive on the wrong side of the road and I haven' hit anyone yet!!! :roflmao:slight_smile: Keep left, look right, gaily forward, never straight hehe! (just kidding, straight is alright :smilewave)

4. nerdvain

Thanks for the input, guys :slight_smile: I'm still really torn about it.
    And as if that weren't enough, I was contacted by the American University of Paris regarding my acceptance.
    No idea what I wanna do.

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

First of, congrats on everything that you got! :slight_smile:

Its a tough decision to make for sure.

Have you talked to a uni counselor about it? They might have more experience in helping people make the decision and their experience can be very helpful. You can also try to get a hold of someone who has been through the program and ask them questions.

If you are up for the stress and you are comfortable in doing it then I say go for it. If you have certain doubts about being the first semester of college then go ahead and wait until you are sure you can handle the pressure.

I will say that just remember that you are a student first. If you think your grades will be affected by going abroad for your first semester then maybe it might be better to wait one more semester.

Good luck with whatever you decide and make sure to enjoy it! Once you pick either option don't feel regret and go all in! :slight_smile: