1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dad keeps asking me if I like guys

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pace e amore, Jan 20, 2012.

1. pace e amore

It's literally ever time we speak. I just ate dinner with my parents because they were in town and I never get to see them anymore since I moved out and then he asked me if there were any hot girls in my classes, when I said no he asked me if I like guys. I denied it (I actually do like this guy in my public speaking class, too bad he's straight:bang: and one in my intro to mac class that I think might be gay but i'm too scared to ask him), do you think he knows or suspects that i'm gay or is he just joking with me?

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A parent generally doesn't ask unless he does suspect. It's up to you if you decide to tell him, but I think they know or at least suspect.

3. thevedman

It's hard to tell without having heard it myself, but when I read your post my initial reaction was that your dad sounds like a great guy, it sort of sounds like he's saying he's ok if you do like guys. How did he say it to you? If it was sort of chilled then it kind of seems like maybe he suspects, but he wants to let you know that he'd be ok with it. I think anyway! Like I say, it's kind of hard to be sure without having heard it first hand!

4. Jonathan

Honestly, I think it all depends on how he said it (the tone he said it in) and without knowing that, we can't really predict if we think he knows or not.

5. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he laughed or smiled when he said it, hes suspicious.

If he didnt, he is almost sure that you do.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    5 bucks says he knows, and is trying to tell you it's OK to come out. So if you feel like you're ready (then again... i dunno if people are *ever* really ready to come out to family) then... go for it! Send an email if you feel like it's too awkward to address in person... or do it in person by handing him a letter and asking him to read it while you're there. Either way, I think he's basically banging on the closet door and pulling on the doorknob :slight_smile:

7. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

if he keeps asking, he thinks you're gay.

8. FJ Cruiser

Have you shown any previous interest in girls? If not, then he probably suspects it. I wouldn't necessarily be gearing up for a positive response even if he said it in a light-hearted tone though.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He knows. Stop the denial dance, and just tell him. :slight_smile:

Lex

10. Ianthe

So your mom knows and your dad keeps asking--you haven't told him why, exactly? It sounds like all signs are go...

11. FruityFascism

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It says you are out to your mom. My mom told pretty much all of my family members the day after I told her [rather rude imo]. They all were nice and waited for me to come out to them. I have a feeling this is a similar case.

Just tell him. He wouldn't ask if he didn't want to know.