1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wellie Boots, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Wellie Boots

Out Status:
    Some people
    I just joined after a few days of lurking, so hi.

I'm planning on comeing out to my family (but I'm quite shy and nervous about it). So, I want to write a letter or email to them. I'm going to iceland without them in the summer for 2 weeks without any contact to them, and I thought I could give it to them before I go. But is 2 weeks too long for them to have to wait before they can confront me about it? It sounds like a silly question but I really have no idea, I know they could never hate me but I just want to tell them in the best way possible.

2. Vesper

First off, :welcome: to EC!

Onto your concerns: It is a scary prospect to tell your family that you're bisexual, but if you want to come out to them, I say the sooner the better. The longer you have to keep this from them, the longer you have to worry, and the greater the chance that something will happen resulting in them finding out through someone other than you. Since this is a fairly important subject, to put it lightly, it would probably be preferable to send them a letter. No matter which way you tell them, though, chances are that they'll want to talk to you about it as soon as possible (as in, pretty much immediately), so you probably wouldn't want to send it to them shortly before your two-week trip to Iceland.

Good luck!