1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dad Dilemma

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ChutneyFarmer, Jan 22, 2012.

1. ChutneyFarmer

Hi Guys. I'm 15, not-out and have a bit of a dilemma...

In an effort to get down to business on my sexuality, I decided to contain my thoughts to when I'm running. That way I have some time alone to think, and it's quite contained - my thoughts don't splurge all over my daily life.

But today - my first run - my dad asked to come with me. I'm glad he wants to come - it will be good bonding - but I feel I really need this reflection time. How do I get that without hurting his feelings? I can't exactly say "Sorry Dad, need this alone time right now to consider my sexuality. Oh, you didn't know???"

What should I do?

2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would guess that his work schedule and other things would allow you to have times to run on your own. Depending what kind of shape he's in, he might go a few times and get tired of it, can't keep up with a youngster like you :wink: Maybe it would give you a chance to talk to him about your sexuality at some point too.

3. BreeBree

Running is a great way to gather your thoughts, kudos to you. As for your dad, maybe a little bonding time is in order? I think you should try to enjoy the time you spend with him, and maybe you'll have another chance to gather your thoughts, perhaps run again later?
    Good luck<3

4. Vesper

I agree with BreeBree and mnguy: go on a run with your dad when he asks to, and then sneak in some time later in the day to run alone. Another thing you could try is setting up some kind of a weekly running schedule with your dad's input: run with him two or three days a week, and run by yourself the other four or five days. That might be a good way to compromise between your need for alone time and both your needs for bonding.

#4 Vesper, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think maybe make a compromise? I don't know how often you run in a week, but perhaps you could let your dad run with you half the time, and then maybe ask if the other half you could run alone? I don't see your dad finding that suspicious, just say you really enjoy running with him, but that you'd also like to run alone some of the time because it's nice to be able to run and think and imagine and all that good stuff :slight_smile: I dunno, I just don't see many Dads finding this awkward. Long as you're not cutting out ALL bonding time, I don't see a problem