1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dreaming, dreaming...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by toremi, Jan 22, 2012.

1. toremi

toremi Guest

So I think I messed with my mind a little.

Sometime ago I posted a thread about the possibility of coming out to close friends; which I actually brought the topic up in a round about fashion last night to get opinions, but didn't commit to anything.

Anyway my concern comes from something else and it is not so much as concern as confusion. In said post, I had stated how I had no issues with coming out to my best guy friend cause although I am close with him and he's an attractive guy I've never had feelings toward him -- at all. Like I honestly have never looked at him in that way so I was confident there was no issue there.

Ah yeah..

So I think maybe I put a weird idea in my sub-conscious thinking and writing about because ever since for the first time I started having dreams about him. Sexual dream and lets just leave it at they are very vivid, very realistic and very kinda raunchy. Anyway this is weird to me -- I am assuming what I stated above is the case maybe, because I put the idea in my head, my head now in turn is fucking with me? I am not attracted to him I know that, not in that way. Has anyone else had this happen? Sexual dreams about someone they have a totally platonic relationship about.

I mean it's not a huge deal cause it's just a dream but still I am not a huge fan of it. It's just really..... bizarre.

Thoughts? Help? Anything?

I am gonna start trying to practice lucid dreaming again to try and squash this shit!

2. BreeBree

Dreams can be interpretted andy way you want. If your this sure you have no feelings for him, then your dream is probably just that: a dream. Sometimes your mind has odd ways of exploring and explaining thoughts, and its possible these dreams will fade soon. I have a friend who began dreaming about someone she was close to, and since she has been swooning terribly over him.its possible the dreams may cause this in you, but you seem quite certain this isn't the case. Just know there are several options that could be the case, and its probably nothing to worry about. Hope this helped, much luck! <3

3. toremi

toremi Guest

Yeah I am assuming because I was discussing and thinking about it just messed with my sub-conscious cause there is definitely no attraction there.

Here's hoping it isn't something that is re-occurring

4. toremi

toremi Guest

Okay I am back with the dreaming, dreaming thread... only this time it is a little more important...

I can deal with sex dreams, even about friends (I am a guy I have had them about platonic girl friends as well, I will get use to having them about guys too)

But I have another dreaming related issue.

Honestly ever since I have been sort of coming to terms with my sexuality my dreaming has been WAY out of wack. Now for the past few nights I am dreaming of a specific time of life that I have long forgot about and happy to have forgotten about.

Here's why I think it may somehow have to do with my acceptance. Like I said before I started to discover around the time I was 12 or 13 I was attracted to men also... up until then I had crushes on just girls. ANYWHO, this time frame also coincided with the beginning and the worst of my parents 6 year divorce settlement/fight whatever.

It was a tough time for many reasons... some I don't even want to get into...

Anyway it's been long passed, they finalized the divorce finally when I was like 18 and things have been better for a few years now and all has been swell.

So why the hell do I start dreaming about things that happened/that timeline/ etc. It's like I am 12 again, in fact in my dreams the past few nights I have been... and I am living in the same place I lived at that time everything and feeling all the feelings I was feeling back then.

I am assuming for some reason my subconscious relates these feelings I am having now to something I was having back then maybe? I have no sweet clue... does this sound familiar to anyone? At any rate it is absolutely ruining my nights sleep -- it's pretty much essentially a nightmare.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing? Is it normal? Does the reasoning make sense? I really need to get into a normal sleep pattern and this isnt helping

5. Peregrine

I've been having those kinds of recurring dreams (returning to a place from your past and having to relive it) for a few years, ever since I had a really bad depressive episode and have been working to sort out some of this baggage. One I get constantly is being back in my childhood bedroom with the sensation "this is where I live now", like I've regressed and am getting more helpless.

With trying to understand my sexuality and gender issues a little better for the first time, I'm getting similarly strange and distressing ones -- all involving the feeling that I'm forgetting or overlooking something important, and time is running out to figure out what it is.

While it's not fun, I have to imagine it makes sense. My mind is gradually assimilating a whole new aspect of my identity and trying to integrate it into everything else I know about myself. Maybe your subconscious is sifting through big moments in your life and trying to understand them through what you've come to terms with lately?

That's what I think is happening to me, at least....I hope that's helpful in some way. Good luck getting into a normal sleep pattern, that's a battle I gave up long ago :confused:

6. toremi

toremi Guest

Thanks for your reply!

I think I kind of understand where they are coming from -- it seems like they are connected to the last point in my life that I really put a lot of thought into my sexuality and was debating it... when I was younger and first becoming curious. Unfortunately that was not a great time in my life -- and the dreams are very lifelike.

In my dreams I am having like memories or what seems like memories of the crap that was going on in my life back then; but the overall tone of the dream is a frightened and angry feeling toward my sexuality as well. Maybe it was something I was feeling back then but repressed because of everything that was going on. At any rate it's been weeks since I have been sleeping well -- I started coming on her after insomnia started with the debating in my mind -- and since I have become more accepting of it, it seems to have led to weird bizarre dreaming that doesn't allow me to sleep sound either.

I am ready for it to be over! If you ever need to chat though hit my wall up here since we both seem to be dealing with the same thing

Cheers Bro