1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bloody double standards

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hana Solo, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Dad always tells me to turn 'this crap' off when I play my music out loud, but HE'S free to play music that I hate out loud and if I say anything, I'm been stupid!

My ex-best friend I want to cut all ties with stalks me around the playground and doesn't let me breathe alone. I'm having a panic attack because of him following me so I can't be alone and he says that he understands that I don't like being around people then KEEPS BLOODY FOLLOWING ME!

I seriously hate life right now. My anxiety has reached an all time high and I can't abide people touching me no matter what intent they do, not even my girlfriend, and am not looking forward to returning to school next week because crowds make me panic now more than ever...

2. Marlowe

This sounds rough, and I am not sure what I can do to help. If you aren't already doing it, I would really recommend seeking out a mental health professional, maybe there is a counselor at your school. I think that that this can be really helpful. It certainly was for me and depression. I think as a society we need to be more proactive about seeing a mental health care provider in the same way we see a doctor when we are physically sick.

As for your dad, this is one of the annoying things about being a "kid." and all I can tell you is that sometimes you have to suck it up, and wait to move out. I don't really know your dad, but maybe if you try to be really logical about it, and stick to facts. I also wonder if there are other things between you and your dad that makes this a symbolic issue. 17 is a tough age. When i was that age I felt like I had all the responsibility of an adult and none of the privileges. My parents treated me like a kid, no freedom, but I had to work work work.

As for your ex best friend, you might need to get the school involved. I don't know about Australia but in the US you can get a stay away order. It is not a legal thing like a restraining order, but it is internal to the school and it means that the school will take disciplinary action against him if he bothers you. If he is really making it that bad for you your school has an obligation to ensure you safety and comfort but keeping him away from you. (this is my personal belief as a teacher and also the law in american schools)

Anyway, I'm really sorry that things are so tough for your right now. it seems like you have a lot going on, but remember: you will get through this. You didn't always feel like this, and so it is important to remember that it is possible to get better, but it requires that you be proactive about advocating for your needs and seeking help. If you have any questions about any of this, we are always here to help.

3. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My dad is a pain too. If I do one little thing wrong, even using my phone too much in the car (WTF!?) he either lectures me, yells at me or both. I really think you should talk to somebody too.