1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does one walk like a girl?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Charni, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have tried so hard to walk like a girl! I have looked at how they walk and tried copying it but it doesn't work! Can anybody help?

2. Tiny Catastrophe

I don't really think there's a specific way girls walk. Just be yourself.

3. javgier

lol thats kinda funny XD because sometimes people mistake me for a girl cuz of my long hair and walk XD

4. J Snow

Well, I don't know how helpful this article/video is in learning to walk, but it does seem that sexual orientation appears to be linked with the way a person walks. Perhaps there might be some helpful information in the article as to how gay men supposedly "mimic" the walking style of women.

Gay or straight? Watch his walk - Health - Mental health - msnbc.com

5. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's all about attitude, and feel...

not the best advice, someone can probably do better than that!

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll admit, I walk somewhat like a woman, I have an almost bounce in my step and my hips I do think sashay side to side.

7. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have no idea honestly. I guess stereotypically women sway their hips more but I think every woman is different. I've been told that I sometimes walk girly and other times I have been told I "walk like a lesbian," whatever that means.

Just walk like yourself because women don't walk in one specific way.

8. SFSorrow

9. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  10. Tracker57

Just be you, Charni. I know women who "walk like men" and men who "walk like women." So is there really a man-style and woman-style? Maybe. Just walk like Charni. Make your own style. None of us are really fitting in to society's mold anyway, right?

Tracker

11. Hot Pink

I never really started to "walk like a woman." It just sorta naturally started to happen. Maybe it was because I got more comfortable with myself as a woman or something.

12. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can't move my hips when I walk! So that's what the problem is! Thanks for the links!

13. Seraph

Just pretend there is a line in between your feet and walk on it, just practice and you will see.
    Another easier way is try to make your foot close to the other when you walk. And yes, to me there are ton of "walking styles" (weird?) for both gender.

Watch some of the calwalk shows, choose one (style) that might fit you and start practicing with it. That was what I did, and my friends said I look cool when I walk. Also straighten your back/walk straight is an important thing.

#13 Seraph, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  14. BudderMC

I gotta ask (and sorry if this offends everyone):

If, generally speaking, people of the LGBT community are being represented as fighting for our rights and all that, and this generally involves breaking down stereotypes, why exactly are you trying to walk a "certain way" to "fit in"?

I echo what some of the people above me put; just walk however you would usually walk.

15. Zontar

Walking like you're on a tightrope works. Just one foot right on top of the other, with a LITTLE sway to the hips.

16. Seraph

Well it is not like we want to look straight nor anything, for some people like me, I just want to look nice from the outside :slight_smile: (And yeah not to be offend but lot of people walk really goofy, that's why ...)

17. BudderMC

Eh, fair enough. Though, doesn't appearing "nice" (in most cases) just come from exuding confidence? In which case, wouldn't it just be something that comes more naturally, once you begin/finish your transition and are much more comfortable with who you are?

I know if I look at myself walking beside a mirrored building, I think I walk funny, but that's usually because I'm always looking at the ground (read: avoiding looking at other people), and consequently look much better when I'm maintaining good posture.

18. nate16

Hey so im kinda a drag queen for hobby and all i can say is that it takes lots of practice and observation if youve never done it before. If you are really adament, try wearing heels. As goofy as it sounds, the heels will force you to walk different. Walk from the hips, putting one foot in front of the other. It helps to gently sway the hips as well. Especially when walking in heels, make sure you walk gently with the heels and roll forward in each step as gracefully as possible. Ummmm so thats it. Sry i kinda started to rant there. Really observe women and how they walk. Its easier than i made it sound :/

19. SweetGirl28

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, women are usually more flexible than men, men walk in a more rigid pattern in general, while women will sway, rotate, and wiggle their hips while walking. The first thing you need to do hun is to relax your body, don't be tense, especially with your hips. Step 2 is to regurlarly practice stretch excercises to become more flexible, there are videos on these specifically for transgendered women on youtube. When you do walk, you also need to stand in a straight posture with your tummy pulled in and chest puffed out slightly. to help work your hips specifically, Do like a skier does while skiing, hold your feet both parallel and on the floor, and move your butt from side to side while holding your hands in front of you and moving them in opposition to your hips and butt. The next practice is to shift your weight from one leg to the other while bending your knees in when you shift the weight. How girls typically walk is sort of a combination of the 2 while walking. Once you become more flexible and less tense, figuring out how to move your hips while walking like any other woman will be easy. But lastly, and a very important thing to remember, you have to practice the walk as often as possible until you get to where you are walking that way all of the time and it finally comes naturally as the only way you walk anymore without you trying to intentionally walk that way anymore. PS, the skier move also twist your spine while doing it, as women do twist their spines more than men when they walk. Hope this helps.