1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thanks to everyone here

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheKidWhoRuns, Jan 23, 2012.

1. TheKidWhoRuns

Six months ago was the lowest point in my life. I was in a fight with my best friend, I broke my leg which dashed my dream of finishing top 10 at the state xc meet(which had I ran I would have easily accomplished ), and my anger and shame over my sexuality was at a tipping point. I really wondered if life was worth living. However, this was also the time when I stumbled upon this website.
    The first time I visited here I was shocked to see people not only discussing their lives but also being helped without judgement. After reading quite a few posts I began to see that I was not alone in my feelings of doubt, anger, and confusion. This was the first time I didnt feel alone in matters dealing with my sexuality ( I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere so I dont really have anyone I can talk to).
    After this I began to come on this website about once a week to see the posts so I could hear others experiences and to post some of my own (this is my second profile). After a few months of this I felt confident enough to post my story. The response was amazing, so much help, love, and advice, I couldn't believe it.
    Since that time I have really been thinking a lot about life. I have come to realize that life is too short to be unhappy. We only get one shot at this life and we better make damn sure we make the most out of it. Do what makes you happy even if it may seem like the hard choice (so long as you dont hurt others). Also for the first time since before I was 13 I can honestly look in a mirror and not want to kill the person looking back a me. That feels pretty damn amazing. Needless to say i believe that had I not found EC not only would I have never realized this, I would most likely still be very depressed and lost. Although I definitly do not accept myself quite yet nor know where my life is headed I would like to thank EC for being there and helping me as I am.
    I would like to thank the admins for running the site, the posters for having the courage to share their stories and questions, and the responders for offering honest advice. As I said earlier I dont know exactly where my life is going but, I know wherever it is I can count on EC being there, and for that I am very greatful.
    You are all amzing.
    Much Love,
    TheKidWhoRuns

2. Curly

I completely feel the same way! This morning I woke up and I felt, for the first time in a long time, being comfortable with myself and my direction. For 2 years everything was going on in my head and I really thought that my thought process had to stay hidden because I couldn't tell anyone what was going on. Keeping it all inside and struggling with other life changes did a number on me. Thanks everyone for making this place such a safe place to ask questions and for everyone's sincere responses.
    I havn't come out to my parents, and there are still people important to me I need to come out to. The process is pretty scary, but I am really glad that I'm doing it. It really is a sort of adventure from here, to start learning who I am and want to be rather then making sure I was who I was supposed to be and how I was expected to act.
    Thanks, I am truely grateful! :thumbsup:

3. mAOz

EC is one of the best forums of it's kind. I agree with all the praise you give it, Nice people, No judgement and Great advice. I'm glad it's help you and so many others (such as myself)

4. Dalmatian

I tried my luck with several gay forums/communities on Internet before and it never took long till I felt attacked by either lack of understanding of people who were long out, irritating oversexuality of people clearly too promiscuous for my taste, or simply completely disinterested people. It seemed that wherever I went (and I needed support badly) I was welcomed by insults about my lack of courage in jumping out of the closet, or immediate, overblown sex stories which were always far too graphic.
    It was the same on local, Croatian web pages, on global sites, everywhere. I just couldn't find what I needed. And what I needed was understanding.

So the first time I came across this site I was shocked. People were normal, open, kind, great. Helpful and loving. Ready to read and to respond with sympathy where asked for, encouragement where needed, but always with optimism. No matter what the "problem" was, these people seemed to be simply supportive. Administrators/moderators didn't seem to play bored demi-gods interested solely in banning, but were people who knew what they were talking about, ready to help every new member always with the same advice if needed, not just sending them away to the generic thread broadly answering their question. It felt so friendly and personal, cosy. And it still does.

I spent a lot of time reading, when I was so down that I couldn't bring myself to write a post, but I was still at least reading. People were great in the long run, I saw that it just works :slight_smile:

So, let me just add my little "agreed" to this thankfulness. The staff of EmptyClosets managed to shape all the people here into a community that primarily gives hope. EC is the best argument in my arsenal for optimism about future. There are great people out there and they do understand :slight_smile: Thanks EC.