1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting someone over the internet.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Koll, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Koll

I have a friend, and I want to meet him.

What should I be careful of?

.. and Not for sex, so don't worry :slight_smile:

#1 Koll, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you seen him on Skype video call or something, talked to him on the phone, seen his Facebook profile, that kind of thing? Your first priority is to make sure that he is who he says he is. If he shows his face on webcam, or his FB profile has plenty of tagged photos and events and stuff, it's a decent indication that he's legit.
    The usual precautions I recommend once that's out of the way are pretty generic. If you don't want to take anyone else with you, at least make sure someone knows where you're going and who you're meeting. Meet up somewhere public, a cafe or something. Have a friend give you a call at a certain time, and if things are going wrong, they can give you an excuse to get out. And have fun :slight_smile:

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on how far away you are.

If you're in the same town, or fairly close to it, just pick a public place somewhere between you two. Meet at a coffee shop or casual restaurant. See if you hit it off. And if you feel weirded out by him at any time, just tell him "I'm sorry - I don't really feel comfortable doing this with you", pay the tab, and leave.

If you're kind of a distance away, well, I'd say you might want to let the relationship grow for awhile. Phone and (clothed) skype are probably the best ways to go.

Lex

4. Koll

Yes, yes and yes. :grin:

He's about.. six hours away. but a train is arrangeable easily. (Free passes)

Thanks for the imput, guys :slight_smile:

5. oneday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've made dozens of friends over the internet through the years and I've met many of them in person. Some of them turned out to be great people and some of them turned out to be clowns. One of them was a nightmare. As others have already said, be sure to meet in a public place for your first meeting. Take things slow. I've always been very careful, especially with the first meeting, because some people are good at putting up a front. Always go with your gut instinct. If it smells like a rat, chances are it is a rat. Good luck and be safe!

6. Koll

I think he's legitimate. but you never know.

My mom has met a few.. wild ones, over the internet herself (Being a publisher she's had people from Chicago to just Collingwood come here)