1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nervous going to the gym

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sesshomaru, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Sesshomaru

My college semester just recently got screwed as I found out the office staff (I know now it was a bad idea relying on them for school info, won't be happening again) had been giving me the wrong info for months by telling me the new semester started in March when it really started this week. With that out the way, I had to take a fitness lab/gym class to be ensured the classes I need next semester.

Now for the problem: I'm insanely nervous/shy/self-conscious about going to the class. I have between now and the end of May to log at least 25 hours in the class but I'm pretty much scared to even set foot in there. I've never been to a gym before for this exact same reason and now I'm pretty much being forced to go. It's more so my own worrying about not knowing what to do or where to begin with working out. The guys there seem so experienced with everything and I just feel out of place. I'm not really shy about my body or anything since I'm pretty built for someone who's never worked out and eats like a horse, but I'm worried I'll walk in and make a fool of myself somehow. Since I only have this one class and I'm extremely shy to begin with I don't know anyone at the school that I could even ask to go with me a few times.

Any suggestions/advice on how to deal with this?

2. Hot Pink

Oh, yeah, there's experienced people there, but the majority of the people in the gym are going to be like you. I also have a gym class this semester and all I do is ride a bike. Good enough for me. If you need help, that's what the instructor is for.

3. maverick

Just keep in mind that most people at the gym are much more concerned about themselves (and their own workouts and body image issues) than they are about you.

4. NeecoVirus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey there! What helps me when I go to the gyms is that you just need to think in the mindset that most people are not going to be staring at you, unless you are an attractive girl walking through the gym. Also, just remember that everyone needs to start somewhere! The "experienced" buff guys at the gym started out scrawny at some point too. As well, you are working out, not doing drugs, there is nothing bad or to be ashamed of about it.

5. Sesshomaru

I considered that most people probably won't pay much if any attention to me but I still have an awkward/nervous feeling about going. I've never done any working out before requiring weights or machines so I don't know really how to use anything and I'd feel embarrassed asking the instructor since well, I'm a guy. And with how I think people associate guys with gyms it just seems like guys are supposed to know their way around one =/

6. NeecoVirus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Haha, you are over thinking it. I love the gym, its a great place to release stress. . . but I used to be scared walking in too because, I did not know what to do (like you). As well, you are only 18, it isn't that big of a deal that you do not know how to use gym equipment. IF you are that concerned about it, look up some work outs or exercises beforehand and use them when you get there? For example: pectoral exercises on google.
    Anyway, do not be shy to ask... why else would an instructor be there? Besides, it is better to ask and do an exercise correctly, than blindly doing an exercise and screwing up your body. Do you have any friends that work out at the gym? You can ask them to go with you... see if they will spot you when you bench press or something... then follow them with their routines?

Also, I think this "awkward" feeling is because you are trying something new. My boyfriend loves bowling... and I tried it with him, at first I had an "awkward" feeling too, but I ended up enjoying myself.

#6 NeecoVirus, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  7. Sesshomaru

I don't have any friends that even go there or having them come with me would be a good idea. I think the online studying could prove useful though.

I know the awkward feeling is coming from my inexperience. I just wish I had at least a little experience with things before I went in.

8. Dalmatian

I know exactly what you mean. A couple of months ago I went to a gym pretty much the first time and I felt far too anxious about it. I worried about looking lost in there. My friend, who trains every day and has been doing so for years, couldn't understand what I was worrying about even after my extensive explanations :slight_smile:

So, what I did was, well, simple. For the first time, I just went on a bike and spent more or less the whole time on it. I used that time to glance around, see what kind of equipment was available, what kinds of exercises people did.. basically which muscles go with which machines. That was it for the first time (I also didn't have much time). The next workout began with bike again, but this time just as warmup, and then I went to use a couple of simple machines (when I say simple I mean familiar; they are all idiot-proof). And the third time I was a pro, using whatever I liked, including weights (not just machines).. err, sorry, my English lacks any knowledge of gym terminology.

Anyway, what I would do now if I went to another gym is even simpler. I would just ask an instructor to show me where everything was and that's it. My anxiousness previously was just fear of unknown.

So just go there and see what it's like. If you feel agitated about it just go and visit, have a drink, ask about working hours, whatever. After a couple of times you'll like it (ok, I don't like it still, but just because I think those weights are too damn heavy :grin:).

9. maverick

Better to ask a gym guide how to do the machines than to try and just "wing it"...I tried that and ended up having some random person correct me by saying, "Um, that's actually not how you use that."

Don't do what I did.

10. Sesshomaru

Looks like my best bet would be just starting off on a treadmill and then asking an instructor about everything else. Thanks for the advice guys :slight_smile: