1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New and scared!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 01megz, Jan 26, 2012.

1. 01megz

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey all,

I'm Megz and I'm new here. I thought I'd join as I'm feeling pretty isolated at the moment re the whole gay thing and revealing it my housemates. I've only here for a month now (well, since the 5th) and due to illness and stress haven't thought about how to do it. Everything is such a mess!

Some comments have been made re lesbians, and I know they were meant in jest but it still makes me feel uneasy I guess. Also, I feel terribly deceitful for not telling one of them before a night out and her getting drunk and practically grinding me lol. It didn't 'turn me on' or anything like that but I still feel pretty bad. She also changed her top when I was in her room and things like this make me feel bad too. On the one hand, I'd rather keep shtum in fear of not rocking the boat, on the other, I feel deceitful for not being myself and creating awkward situations for myself and the other person by not revealing it in the first place. I've passed by so many easy opportunities by not just saying those three words..

My plan was to bake a rainbow cake and then hold some kind of evening (or wait till everyone is around) and do it then somehow.

Would this be too 'gay' ?

Thanks!

x

2. mAOz

I think that's a nice way to do it, subtle but they get free cake!

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC!

Would it be "too gay"? Well, kinda. :slight_smile: I think, like most people in your situations, you want to get two points across.

1. You're gay.
    2. This isn't a big deal. Ideally, nothing will change.

The rainbow cake handles #1, but it sort of runs counter to #2. And I think keeping #2 in mind is a good way to go about it. If you can say something along the lines of "You know, I've never actually told you (either singular or plural) that I'm gay. I'm assuming it isn't going to be any big deal, but I thought maybe you should be made aware of it." You can probably use a form of that script for any of the "openings" you've seen pop up here and there.

Lex

4. BudderMC

The way I see it, being lighthearted enough about it to make a cake and turn it into something funny (yet not a joke) isn't a bad way to go about it. As long as you keep the same lighthearted attitude when you deliver it, they'll take it the same way, and it'll likely turn into "not a big deal" (yet still memorable, unless the cake is bad :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

5. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Hey everyone is down with cake, you can never go wrong their.
    :goodluck: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: :grin:

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like a good idea to me!! Cake is awesome!! Good Luck!!

7. 01megz

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, thanks for the replies :slight_smile:
    I feel like such a baby for not being able to just blurt it out when there have been so many occasions: do you have a boyfriend? how many people have you slept with?
    It's so frustrating
    x

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can understand... I know for me it is really hard to slip it in to a conversation.

9. 01megz

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah :S
    I don't know when I'm going to see everyone to ask about times. It's tricky because I want to do this ASAP but other people have upcoming plans. Just remembered that one of them is going away...oh no!
    Invites in post slots or not? Next dilemma lol.
    x