1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mini rant, dont know how to go about it

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by stumble along, Jan 26, 2012.

1. stumble along

my grandfather is here because my parents are taking a trip to london and apparently the 17 year old cant take care of himself. but i digress
    he is here, and he is really cool.
    but hes really religious, i dont know his extent of politics, all i know is he loves to go to church.
    i myself and completely against the whole religion thing but thats all ill say because i really dont want to get into any trouble here.
    i also havent gone to church for at least 2 years and now im expected to drive him to some random church ive never been to so that he can go. (been to once)
    one, i have terrible social skills so this is going to cause my BPM to go into the danger zone
    and that i am going to have to put up with the local hoighty toighty stuck up destructively righteous slightly racist people who so frequent every single church i have been to (and with my grandfather speaking exclusively spanish, it wont help)

can someone just please tell me ill be ok and wont spontaneously combust once i step the threshold.
    and any mannerisms i should go through once i get there so i dont say something im not supposed to.
    catholicism btw*

2. Jerseyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You'll be fine! =] Fuck those hoighty toighty people. Just remember that even though you've dealt with those people before in the past, not everyone that believes in some form of religion is intolerant and full of hate. And just one more thing to keep in mind, God is love. So I don't think you'll exactly burst into flames haha Good Luck!!

3. cscipio

Since this thread has a tinge of 'lightness' to it: One Christmas my mom was snowed in and couldn't make it to church. I'm 100% not religious and prefer to spend my Christmas mornings at the bar. Being the considerate son that I am, I called mother and found out she wasn't able to get out of the drive and go to church. I told her I'd take and went to her place. When she came out to the truck she was all dolled up, got in and got a look at me in a ratty t-shirt, torn jeans and such. She said "I thought you were going to church?!" I told her "Hell no, I'm dropping you off and going to the bar, call me when you feel redeemed enough and I'll come pick you up." She about fell out of the truck....but she appreciated the ride all the same.

For the OP - Just do what grandpa does. Genuflect if he does, sit/stand/kneel/stand/sit/kneel/stand (or whatever the order is, I forget now). Shake hands when others do. If the person to your left or right wants to hold hands during the lord's prayer, just do it. As far as communion goes - if you were raised Catholic, just accept it; otherwise, stay seated when everyone goes up.