1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got asked out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DhammaGamer, Jan 27, 2012.

1. DhammaGamer

Okay so I haven't been able to get on Facebook for like 2 weeks cuz my phone has been off and I dont have internet at home. So today I was able to check it and last monday I got a message from a guy I know. He basically said "I know this is kind of out of left field, but I'm wondering if you would like to get dinner or a drink some time?"

I was like "what?!" lol I've never had a guy ask me out before, and we have never even hung out before. I am extremely flattered to say the least. He's super cute and seems like a really nice guy.

So, anyways, the weird thing is that his ex works with me and I've hung out with him a couple times outside of work (we share friends). About 4 weeks ago we were hanging out at a bar for a friends 21st. He asked me if I wanted to walk down the street to one of the local gay bars. I assumed he wanted to meet up with some friends andhave a drink, and since breaking up with my ex I've been trying to get out more and meet people.

Anyways, we get there and the place is basically empty and it turns out he actually just went there cuz he wanted to dance with me. Which I hate lol I have a problem turning people down though so we ended up dancing and then later on I made out with him for a little while. It was .... extremely awkward. Not to mention the dance floor was surrounded by mirrors and my reflection in boy mode seriously makes me want to cut myself and vomit. So ... yea no good. I ended up opting out and heading to a friends place. We haven't hung out since.

I found out later that he was still with his boyfriend at the time which made me feel even worse about the whole terrible thing.

So now, the boyfriend (ex now) is contacting me to go on a date. Which, honestly, I am like extremely giddy about because I thought he was cute when he helped me get my job 3 years ago and when I saw him a few months ago at random. Also, I know that he is bi so I think he may be more accepting of me being trans than some gay men may be, which is also a huge benefit for me since being viewed as a woman is a huge deal for me.

I'm thinking I will probably have to explain to him what happened with his ex, but do you think it will be a problem?

Also, I have no idea how to date at all lol. Even before I met my ex I never dated at all. She was my only relationship ever and we moved in together the day we met =P

So, I'm definitely kind of nervous if this whole thing pans out since I don't really know what to do.

Any advice?

---------- Post added 27th Jan 2012 at 01:43 PM ----------

also, I did message him back that I would love to hang out some time, so yay :slight_smile:

2. Eleanor Rigby

Well, my only advice would be just to be yourself :slight_smile:
    As your ex is his ex, I don't think it's worth mentioning what happened between the two of you, except if the conversation heads up this way. But chances are, he will prefer to talk more about you and about him than about his ex-boyfriend.
    Let us know how thing goes :slight_smile:
    Take care, Cécile