1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to make progress

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by toremi, Jan 29, 2012.

1. toremi

toremi Guest

Just a bit of a progress report.

I have decided to give some sort of LGBT event a try. Not necessarily an 'event' perse, but maybe a evening within the company of other gay men.

I was out with my friends the other night at this lame ass bar where I wasn't interested in being. I posted someone on my status about it and the gay friend I have who is aware of my "bisexual status" asked me why I was there. We chatted a bit and he mentioned why not go to a gay bar or something next time.

So I pondered it..

Well main reason would be that I am not out and I wouldn't have anyone to go with -- so hello awkward creepy guy standing in the corner alone. I've never even been to a gay bar as a straight man, let alone as a bisexual man (some of my straight friends use to go to a gay bar back home with their girlfriends and friends and what not, it was no big deal... I just never went along"). So then it got me wondering maybe I should atleast try and put myself out there.

Now he is really the only "non-sexual" friend I have so I asked if it would be alright if I tagged along sometime with him when he went -- I promised I would be no hassle. Just if he was going out with friends for chill and drinks maybe I could come along. Anyway I don't know how he really feels about that so I don't know if it will happen... he always seems hesitant at best... so I don't know we will see.

But other than that I tried to imagine if there was some other way I could meet people. And I know there are meetings but I dont think it is really fair to go to a LGBT meeting when I am no where near being out about my status is it? Like I will be sitting around with people who are out and dealing with it and be like this ass who still hides his sexuality.

So I ask you EC. Is there any other venues I could pursue other than a bar or a meeting that would be good for getting out there. I am not about to wave my flag of sexuality (I am exaggerating, but I mean come out to friends) until I know for a fact that I am certain about it and had a support group. Those in Toronto or Ontario might have specific places or events.

Thanks as always

2. toremi

toremi Guest

So I set up a profile on a "dating" site.

Like a legitimate one, not one of those hookup ones. But I made it clear I was primarily looking for friendships and getting to know ppl (ie chat, meet for coffee, hang out, platonic stuff). I wouldn't be opposed to dating if it were to work out like that but the main purpose of me signing up was to more or less network... Meet some other guys in my area possibly.

Seems good so far -- already chatting with a nice guy my age so we will see how it goes!