1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Lady Doctor... awkward!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jordash, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Jordash

Okay, so the other day my older sister had to go to the gynaecologists. Shensaid it was one of the most awkward thing she has ever had to do. So now im really scared.
    I've had sex, oral and fingering, with my girlfriend. Nothing seems wrong down there... but im really scared they will find something wrong with me, and they might tell my mom!
    She hasn't ever had sex with anyone else, or atleast she said she hasn't, and I believe her.
    So my question is, will they find something wrong when its my time to go there? And if there is something wrong do they have to tell my parents?
    Please help me! Thank you so much!

2. climbingivy

From what you've said they probably wouldn't find anything wrong with you. But it doesn't hurt to get a check up. I'd say if you're sexually active it's a good time to start seeing an OB/GYN. I'm not going to lie, if you're a semi-modest person it can be kind of awkward going for the first time. It's an important thing to do regularly though and it's not so awkward that it's unbearable. You totally get used to it. These people have seen everything. Think about it, they look at tons of women every day. The doctors are totally conscious of the fact that most young women are uncomfortable during their visits, so they're usually super nice. As far as your parents finding out if you did have something, I don't think there's any legal obligation for them to know. Depending on your financial status (and considering your age I'm assuming you're dependent on your parents) they may have to find out to some degree if you needed treatment. Not totally sure though. And it certainly shouldn't be a reason for you not to go to the doctor for regular check ups.

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2012 at 08:13 PM ----------

Also, your sexual activity is just between you and the doctor. That's confidential.

3. Jordash

Well, our school requires yearly check ups like this once you turn 16 to go along with the yearly physical. :\
    So there really is no avoiding it for me....
    But im still scared my parents will get really mad if I do have anything.

4. climbingivy

Even better. That way you don't have to have a reason to start seeing the doctor. I know that "what if" can be super scary. As I said, I'm no doctor, but you probably don't have anything. If you did and your parents found out I would think they'd be happier that you were getting treated even if they were mad at you. You're young, but you're becoming an adult and that comes with sometimes upsetting your parents. Also, the doctor can help you learn how to protect yourself so you have less of a chance of getting a disease in the future.

5. Jordash

Okay, thank you. That was surprisingly helpful. :slight_smile:
    I think I will be fine now.