1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another failed attempt :(

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Urman, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Urman

Urman Guest

Well me and my mom were talking and some how the subject about homosexuality came up and she said something so i was like what happens if i was gay she said i hope not then she dropped the subject and walked away i should probably not even bother :frowning2: :frowning2:

#1 Urman, Dec 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2007
  2. chrisb

Re: a another failed attempt :frowning2:

Don't let what youre mother says without thinking effect youre decision on whether to come out or not. My Mom said things spur of the moment before i came out that i know she never truly meant, hell i remember once as a kid my brother saying if i grew up to be gay he'd kill me...funny how he became one of my most accepting family members when i finally decided to come out. Family is a funny thing majority of the time, as much as you think coming out may ruin youre life or relationship with them sometimes it goes totally opposite youre expectations and you become closer... i know before i came out i thought my mom would cry nonstop for days and and just never accept it, well she cried but only for a few minutes and then everything went back to normal within a week or so...

3. Urman

Urman Guest

Thanks im just kinda sad now i guess that she said that to me

4. CrimsonThunder

Most parents hope their kids aren't gay. >_>

And she probably walked away because she thinks you are. Natural progression.

5. s5m1

By you asking her that question, she probably already has a pretty good idea of what is coming next. While I know there are exceptions where parents have reacted extremely negatively, most parents love their children unconditionally.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Try not to worry about her reaction. Go read the Stages of Grief that is a sticky. This is important information when your parents are dealing with this. Your mom is in that denial stage and is probably going to stay there until you confirm it to her. She may or may not go through all the stages. Try to remember this. Keep talking to her and everything will be fine. Hang in there!

Also we fear what we do not know. Most people do not really learn about homosexuality unless they are affected by it. So you need to get the materials to educate your mother through PFLAG or a bookstore.

7. Urman

Urman Guest

Thank you it is pretty discouraging to hear from your mom that she hopes that i am not.Do you think she might have taking it as a joke and what stage should i expect next.

#7 Urman, Dec 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2007
  8. chrisb

It very well could have been taken as a joke.... afteralll my mother threatens death if i don't clean up my mess lol only jokingly of course....