1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being outed

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Raug, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Raug

I was recently outed by my 'best' friend to her mother. Her mothers best friend is my mother ... Idk what to do...

2. secretguyX

Talk to your best friends mother and tell her that you want to tell your mom yourself, and ask her to not talk about it with her. I'm sure she'll understand and give you enough time. You should probably tell your best friend to not tell anyone else if you don't want to be out yet.

3. Vesper

Like secretgirlX said, you have to tell your friend and her mother to not say anything to anyone about your being pansexual before the word goes out any further. It is pretty much imperative that you tell people on your own terms, because you can't know what other people's motives may be in outing you.

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd talk to your friend's mother tell her that YOU want to be the one to come out when YOU'RE ready. Then talk to your best friend about secrets and trust.

In fact you might want to find about finding a new best friend

5. Roland85

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out is a super personal thing, anyone who would just tell other people and not respect that is insensitive at best, and likely not too concerned with your well-being. Talk to the mother, and be mature about it. Tell her you are not ready to be out, and ask her to not tell your mom. It's your life, not a conversation topic.

6. Raug

I've talked to her. She wont say anything... I'm definitely getting a new best friend.

7. cscipio

Sorry to hear it - betrayal of trust is such a terrible thing. Good for you to stand on your two feet and shore it up though.

8. Paper Heart

Perhaps this could be a good thing. If her mother is best friend's with your mother, then she could have some insight into how well your mother will take it.

9. Koll

How well do you know your friends mother? And how similar is she to your own Mom?

If they're friends, they may just react in the same manner. Research this a little more, because being out to your parents, even before your peers, can be really relieving.