1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drowning Dreams

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fugs, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lately I've been having dreams where I'm drowning. It ends with me taking a big breath underwater then immediately I will go limp and float for a couple seconds feeling overbearing pressure in my lungs before I am forced awake. I'm not a believer in dreams meaning much but I keep getting this one and I don't really know what to do about it.

It's more of a nightmare I guess; which I don't normally have. I thought it was impossible to die in your own dreams but I guess that I've proven myself wrong with these occurrences. Any ideas on what's going on?

2. Zontar

Is drowning one of your biggest fears? Are you planning to go swimming, diving, or otherwise in the near future?

Although dreams are still not well-understood, one function of them has been found to "prepare" you for events you fear on a conscious or subconscious level; think "virtual reality training." It's a survival mechanism. Our ancestors no doubt dreamt of evading saber-toothed tigers so that they would better be prepared for the event when or if it occurred. If drowning is one of your biggest fears, perhaps your subconscious is repeatedly exposing the scenario to you, lest you be unprepared should it actually happen.

If the dream is recently recurring, I would suggest you give it time for your subconscious to find something else to worry about. Recurring nightmares shouldn't really last you more than a few weeks or so, unless you're very stressed about whatever it is.

3. Bolin

Could it be stress? I notice that when I'm going through an intensely stressful time, I tend to have very violent and gory nightmares (even though most of my dreams are already nightmarish and violent, it's taken up to eleven). I don't know if it's the cause, but my worst nightmares or strange ones I don't normally have always occur during a stressful time period.

And about dying in your dreams, I've died several times in my nightmares. I even vividly remember being shot in the head and having my brains splattered on the wall behind me in one of them, so unless I have a secret twin, I don't buy the "you can't die in your dreams" deal.

4. Zontar

Any subject matter is fair game for dreams.

What some people fear is dying in real life from an event in a dream, which is not really possible the way they think it. The only way that can possibly occur is if you're having a very intense dream of any nature and a diagnosed/undiagnosed heart condition manages to kick you in the ass...much as it would if you were that stressed from the event actually occurring.

5. insidehappy

i do not know. but some say you are recalling a past life, some would say watch out for water, some would say that its not literal and that drowning means being and feeling overwhelmed about some issue that is currently pressuring you and that you feel hopeless and out of control and powerless to stop it. look within and you will be able to identify the issue and hopefully seek help for it.

6. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I've been really stressed out about family, transitioning, grades, finding work, and trying not to cut.

The dream starts with me in a car, when we drive over a bridge the car runs off the side and we fall into the ocean. I'm calm-ish while so deep under water and the driver is laughing. I don't know if he was trying to kill me or not but I remember not struggling for breath or anything but just giving up and taking a deep breath of water.

7. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

i'm so sorry. it's normal when you have so much pressure to feel like you're drowning and dream about it. as far as you not driving in the dream, it's also pretty evident that you feel like your life is out of control. i feel you big time. i am in the same situation

the main things i have to practice are: first, feelings can lead you wrong ALOT, so we can't live our lives by them. second, i have to take things step by step so i know that i actually have control over aspects of my life and i'm not just a victim. you're 18, so you're learning to manage a lot, so, (*hug*) cut yourself some slack and take small bites, that may include getting some support. and third is practical - do something fun and healthy at least once a week for at least 30 minutes; a healthy de-stresser. for me it's running or the gym, for you it might be the same or art, music, friends. you likely have a counselor already if you're transitioning and they likely are a good support too with this.

anyway, know that you have alot of people here at EC and likely even in life who really care about you. again, we're with you too
    ~ me