1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If there were a straight pill

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GoogieHowser, Feb 3, 2012.

?

Would you take a straight pill?

1. Yes, I want to be straight

116 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No, I like being LGBT

255 vote(s)
    68.7%
  1. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

Okay, so we (some of us anyways) know how hard it is to be LGBT. If tomorrow, scientist discovered a pill that made you straight, would you take it?

2. DhammaGamer

Would the pill turn me into a girl or into a straight man?

3. fedora777

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not at all, im this way for a reason and i intend to find out why. and besides the one things gays are known for that straight people arent is being happy :slight_smile:

4. Vesper

I quite like being LGBT, actually. I have reached a higher level of self-understanding than I ever would have achieved had I been straight.

I think it's thrilling and challenging to be a member of a minority, because I have to challenge myself not to feel pressured to fit the norm.

5. djstcktn326

Nope, unless it could turn me into a girl. Hahahaha

6. Metal

+1 to this

7. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I'm becoming proud to be gay now. I'd change it in the past but not now.

8. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

I would not take it.

9. insidehappy

honestly not sure.

#9 insidehappy, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  10. Bolin

Early last year, I would have said "yes." Now, I say "no." I met some of my best friends last year, and if I were straight, I literally would have never met them.

11. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'd take it.

I often feel like I'm the only GLB person who has this opinion. The fact of the matter is that there's nothing inherently good about being gay that doesn't have some kind of equivalence if you're straight.

"But guys are so hot!" And girls would be just as hot if I were straight.
    "But vagina is so icky!" And it would be just as appealing as penis if I were straight.
    "But you're going to make some guy so happy!" And I could make a girl happy too if I were straight. In fact, my odds of finding a girl to make happy would be better, as if I started fancying a girl, sexuality wouldn't be imposing a 5-10% chance that she's capable of reciprocating the feelings.

"But you get to be special!" ...special? Are you fucking kidding me?

This one irks me the most, so I should elaborate. The word "special" implies something positive, something desirable about whatever attribute is being described. Being part of an oppressed minority is not desirable. Needing to work at least ten times harder to find a mate is not desirable. Missing out on privilege (straight privilege, specifically) is not desirable. Worrying about whether someone might react violently if they find out this simple fact about who I am is not desirable.

I used be of the opposite opinion, and one of the reasons was because "Being gay made me who I am today." But then I realized that if I were to take this pill, my personality wouldn't suddenly change. My personality is the result of my experiences, my history, my interactions with my friends. Changing my sexuality isn't going to suddenly erase all those and invalidate them. I'd be the same person, just straight. I could be the same shameless, convention-breaking individual; I'd just have a better chance of getting a date on Saturday night.

You might now be accusing me of not being proud of who I am. What's to be proud of? I like guys. It's not like I climbed mount Everest. It's not like I can recite the first thousand digits of pi. Being gay isn't a talent or an accomplishment; it's a part of who I am, like being right-handed, or brown-eyed, or white. Changing that aspect of who I am would objectively improve my life. Why is it a shameful thing to acknowledge that fact?

12. waitingfordawn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    No. The only thing that's wrong with being gay is that other people (ie straight people) say it's wrong. I don't really want to be straight.

As someone once said (quoting this from a gif from a movie whose name I can't remember, LOL): "The world of heterosexual is a sick and boring life."

13. Ben

Ben

I'm settled into a gay life. I'm out, have a boyfriend, and enjoy the finer and most fabulous things that life has to offer without worrying about seeming gay. So no, I wouldn't take it if I were offered it tomorrow.

If I were offered it before I was settled as I am, then yes. I would absolutely take it. And I think that if it were something on offer and someone was uncomfortable with how they were, then they should be free to take it as well.

14. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I see where you're coming from and I understand that many people probably feel the same way. For some people it is special to be gay because it enables them to be more empathetic to other minority groups. If you take the pill I think you would still remember your experiences as a gay person though. But yeah, being a minority does suck.

I do think for some people it was like climbing Mount Everest because it takes a lot to accept yourself and "climb the mountain" of coming out. It's like a long never-ending journey where you have to dodge avalanches and not step on the wrong rocks.

15. FJ Cruiser

I have to be honest, I think I would take it. Frankly, being straight fits so much more in line with most of my dispositions that I often forget I'm gay, which when it happens is very surreal and is sometimes a shock of disappointment. It hits me like "Dang, that's right, I'm gay. How did that happen?" A lot of that has to deal with that I grew up in such a heteronormative society that it often feels more natural to think like a straight guy even though I now realize that I'm almost as gay as it gets.

Don't get me wrong. I'm no longer insecure or ashamed of my orientation, but, much like Owen, I don't feel like it is central to my identity, no more so than being left-handed would be. I could be just as fulfilled as a person without all the judgment and hardship.

16. Zontar

A couple months ago I would've said yeah.

Now, I think I'd rather take the one they made for women and slip it in my straight crushes' drinks. =D

17. Nightmaric

I lust be as lonely if I were straight, and I think that would be my only pro for taking it. I think that being gay will definitely be a huge reason of what type of person I'll end up becoming. I feel like I love myself and I've accepted it. But, the loneliness is killing me. Everyday at school I have to fake smile and act like I'm content when I'm perpetually sad and lonely because I can't have the normal high school dating life because not as many guys are gay, it's hard to tell if they are or not, and I am still not out. I don't know.... I think I would end up not taking it. God made me this way for a reason. I know it. I am meant to be gay, and I know it will pay off if I'm patient. Now I just went off on a rant, my bad. Just needed to vent a little.

18. Mogget

I think I'd take it. The fact is that if I were gay there would be, right now, several girls I know and like that I would be able to ask out. That just isn't true on the boy front; while I might be willing to date one or two of my male friends, none of them would be interested in returning the favor, what with them being straight and all. If I had a boyfriend things would certainly be different, and there are things about being gay that I certainly like, but right now, with my life situation being where it is, yeah, I'd take the pill.

19. MrHojalata98

nah, i wouldnt take it. im still figuring out wether im gay or bi (either way i like guys) but idk really... being gay is part of who i am and i wouldnt give that away. sure it wil bring up A LOT of challanges in my life, but hey who likes a boring life to begin with? i think being gay/bi has helped me understand who i am and given me a diffrent point of view of life than i would have had if i was straight. and im not even sure what i am yet so i probably sound like a total hypocrite xP

20. sanguine

i would seek out these scientists and destroy them myself