1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

University of Michigan

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LailaForbidden, Feb 3, 2012.

1. LailaForbidden

hello :slight_smile:
    i'm a junior in highschool and considering colleges. I dont know if any of you have attended the university of michigan, but i was wondering how gay-friendly it is. Also, i have very conservative catholic family members in ann arbor and don't know if its such a good idea to go to there, as I will attempt to be completely open there (fingers crossed!). I know i will have to deal with prejeduce in my life, but i've pretty much decided to not tell my untolerant family members about my sexuality. That said, it would be hell to have them walk in on an uncompromising situation, or even see me around town, say, holding hands with a future girlfriend, ect. Other than that, does anyone have any recommendations for colleges (not just umich)? it would be greatly appreciated? Thank You!!

2. Silver Sparrow

3. kirbycat

I'm applying to U of M right now as well, for graduate school! I'm not extremely familiar with the campus life there, though I've always perceived it as having a pretty progressive atmosphere. I'd say that for most schools of that size, even if there are some unwelcoming folks, you won't have any trouble finding plenty of support and acceptance. With such a large student body, you're gonna find tons of people from all walks of life.

For that same reason, unless your local relatives are really involved in university life or like to spend their weekends hanging around campus, or are planning to drop by your dorm unannounced on a regular basis, you probably wouldn't have to worry too much about them discovering you in some compromising situation. It's just such a big campus. If your social circles overlap with your family's a lot, that could make things a bit more difficult. But if Michigan is where you really want to go (and it's a great school!), don't let yourself be held back by this one concern. There are plenty of reasons to not want to come out to your relatives, but there's no reason for their prejudice to hold you back from pursuing your own future.

4. LailaForbidden

Thank you :slight_smile: i think its umich is definitley on my list of colleges to strongly consider. and you right, i should let fear hold me back. thanks again

5. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    UMich is really good with LGBT stuff.
    Last year they even had a gay student body president.
    You wont get much crap hurled your way for being LGBT at most colleges.

6. Emergelove

It's awesome school in many other aspects too! Their LGBT office is quite active.

7. coastgirl

I went there - great school, and Ann Arbor is pretty liberal in and of itself. I wasn't out in college, I was in denial, but I do know it's a pretty friendly place to be lgbt.