1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I do this?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sesshomaru, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Sesshomaru

Ok so I'm gay and pretty much completely out to everyone that I feel should know on my mom's side of the family (well except my step-dad since I don't know how he'll react and my little bro since he wouldn't fully understand). I've been wanting to come out to my dad's side of the family for a while now.

I really want to tell my dad's side because I'm almost positive they'll be accepting. I have a 20-something year old gay cousin on their side of the family and everyone loves him to the point where his boyfriend is so welcome to come over that he goes throughout their house even more comfortably than I do. I haven't really spoken to my grandma that lives there much since I've been worrying over how to come out and tell her. Around the middle of last year my sister and two girl cousins sent me adds on facebook and I've left them sitting to be responded to because I don't want them to find out I'm gay simply over the internet (and I know if my sister finds out she'll for sure say something to our dad). I've been worried that since one of my cousins normally answers the phone there she might ask how come I never responded on facebook and I don't want to lie to her, but I also don't want to tell her I'm gay over a phone.

So how do you guys think I should go about doing this? I really would want to tell my gay cousin first before I tell anyone else since I know if anyone could help me through this it'd be him, but I have no way of contacting him. One of my girl cousins that added me is his sister and I'm pretty sure she has him added but her friends list on facebook is private and we don't all have the same last name.

2. mike90

Maybe hide your info on facebook temporarily and then accept the invites you have and either look through your girl cousin's friend's list when you have added them and find your gay cousin and then take it from there? When you have come out to them you can put your facebook info back on to public? Or just bite the bullet and tell your girl cousin, seeing as her brother is gay and she seems to be fine with it and will probably understand and be able to help you? xx

3. Sesshomaru

Thanks for that. I think the better of the two would be telling my girl cousin and then asking for her brother's number. Hopefully she can keep it between us until I finally tell my grandma.

4. mike90

I am sure that if you explain to her that you want to tell people your self she will respect that xx

5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought u're supposed to be able to set up groups on fb and set what u allow each group to see? Just set up a family group and don't have the gay stuff visible to that group for now. Then get the gay cousin's info and contact him and come out to all the rest when you want to later. Good luck.

6. Sesshomaru

That might work. I'm not sure if I'm able to do all of that from my phone though. My computer broke a few months ago so I've been doing all online stuff with my phone.

I'm hoping she can respect my decision to tell everyone myself too.