1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

confusion

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tgs, Feb 6, 2012.

1. tgs

tgs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm just going to post here because I don't know where else to put it.

I don't know if i'm gay or not.
    i've only have had one sexual experience with a guy (which was fine/fun), only two of my friends (both girls) know about this. I have only really talked about my feelings in any detail with one of them and it didn't really help, infact it made me feel much worse.
    i am so nervous/anxious about this issue. I feel as though i am about to go and sit an exam i can't concentrate enough to think,read,sleep or even watch a movie properly.
    I don't think i should tell anybody how/what i am feeling (espescially when i'm not even sure myself) because it seems that saying 'i'm gay' or "consused" is something that can't really be taken back.

writing this took me ages. (i have read a bunch of threads here and am hoping that just writing this down can be somewhat cathartic)

ta.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Firstly coming out is not a one way street, although I know exactly how you feel. If you come out as 'confused', 'questioning' or even 'gay' and then never date or experiment with another guy again then thats ok, if you fall in love with a girl then thats cool, it happens.

As for whether you are gay or not its difficult to say from what you have posted, but if you just forget about being confused for a moment and just try and imagine the person you would most like to be right now, is it a guy or girl. If you imagine yourself settled down with someone or dating someone is it a guy or girl. Try and just let your mind wander and see where it takes you.

3. hml8

Firstly welcome to EC :slight_smile:

Secondly I agree with Silverhalo . . . what feels right?

Also don't fret, just take things as they come, everybody in my form at school knew every stage of my journey, although I can see why people wouldn't like this, the amount of times I 'changed' my sexual orientation is unbelievable, so coming out is not a one way street at all. Is there any other friends you'd feel comfotable talking to about it or even the other friend that already knows?

I think that discovering your sexual orientation is a journey and is not necessarily one that can be logically thought about, it can be a long or short journey and the process can be very different for different people so take things as they come. And try not to think too much, try simply feeling without any boundaries. This is more difficult than it sounds, but power, or more to the point relax, through and be persistant. :slight_smile:

4. insidehappy

i guess what do you wnat? jsut because you had one experience or 10 expereinces with a guy does not make you one thing or the other. it just means you had those experiences. if you like girls more and want that for your future, go with girls, if you like guys more focus on them. what do you wnat?

5. Ianthe

Hi, and welcome!

One experience does not define who you are. We consider sexual orientation to be defined by who you are romantically and sexually interested in, not by who you have had "experiences" with.

If you didn't have to worry about what anyone would think of you, what sort of people would you want to date?

6. BuzzSnail

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I know exactly how you feel. When I first started questioning my sexuality I felt immense pressure to make a decision and come out. This left me with constant anxiety and depression. Finally I was able to come to a point where I decided I wasn't going to worry about making a decision yet. I'm not going to worry about whether I am still attracted to women on or not. Instead, I would focus on confirming my attraction to other men.

For example:
    Acknowledging to myself when I saw an attractive man.
    Letting myself think of men as possible lovers.
    Engaging in fantasies about having sex with other men.

I still have days where I question whether I'm really gay, or whether I might still be attracted to women. But when that happens I always try and remind myself that, irregardless, I have these feelings sometimes and to ignore them any longer is just going to make me more miserable. So go ahead and take your time. Explore yourself. Once you are comfortable with your feelings maybe you will feel more comfortable discussing it with someone else. (not that I can talk, I'm still not out to anybody but my therapist)

Also, I'm sorry when you discussed it with your friend it did not go well for you. You didn't specify whether your friend was supportive or not. While you're still questioning it might be best to talk to people who you know will be 100% supportive e.g. a therapist or other gay persons. It's always nice to have your feelings validated in person. It was one of the best feelings in the world for me.

7. tgs

tgs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    just wanted to say thanks for the reading & writing. I appreciate the replies, they have given a somewhat new insight into the situation. the person i told was supportive but i just wasn't (and probably still am not) ready to deal with the whole conversation that gets into "so are you saying you're gay?..."