1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There's this really cute guy in my art history class but I don't know if he's gay.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pace e amore, Feb 6, 2012.

1. pace e amore

There's this really cute guy in my art history class that I think might be gay but i'm too scared to talk to him. What do I do?

2. Marlowe

Re: There's this really cute guy in my art history class but I don't know if he's gay

Well really the best advice I can give is to pluck up the courage and talk to him. I mean there is ultimately no way around it, apart from doing some research on facebook or the like. There are a million things I could say about gaydar, but really it is never a good idea to assume that people are gay. The best thing to do is get to know him and it will probably some up. Depending on how open you feel, maybe you can incorporate it into a class discussion, see what he says.

3. King

King Guest

Re: There's this really cute guy in my art history class but I don't know if he's gay

Try talking to him under the intention of being friends. You can certainly say something like, "Nice weather outside today." That can lead to unbelievable conversations about anything!
    As far as being scared... you don't need to be. Talk to him like you would anybody else, don't think about how you're attracted to him.
    All the best! x

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The best advice I can give you is to talk to him. You're never going to get anywhere or get his attention unless you talk to him. It's not so bad. :slight_smile: Just start a friendly conversation. I know that can be hard but it might pay off in the end. Good luck with that.

5. Ianthe

You can try any of the following:

Form a small study group and invite him to it. (Small=5 people or fewer, so that you will have a chance to get to know him.)

Try to get some people to go out after class, and include him.

If he seems to have a good grasp of the subject matter in class, ask him for help with your homework. Or just strike up a conversation about whatever you're studying.

If you have noticed that he has some particular interest or hobby, ask him to tell you more about it.

Once you are at least able to talk to him, you will want to consider coming out to him. It makes it much more likely that he will tell you if he's gay. And anyway, you can't date a guy without him knowing you are gay.

6. insidehappy

scared to talk to him... you have to create a reason to talk to him. he will not talk to you likely because he may not be gay or interested or you're just another person in the art history class and he has no reason to talk to you. so if you like him, you have to create the reason. here are ways you can do it.

if its a small class, here's what you can do:

1. "hey man, what did you think about lecture today?"
    2. "hey did you happen to get that last thing he/she said in lecture, i was trying to take notes but didn't hear the last part about (insert the topic).
    3. ready for the exam coming up....? (said as walking near him as the class is exiting).
    4. hey, i was wondering if anyone is doing a study group for this class, do you know....?

all of these things wil force you to create a conversation with him and ask him a question. if he blows you off, then you can just keep it pushing, but you have to make frriends somehow.

if it's a bigger lecture class, it's kinda hard because there's hundreds of people in those and there's no easy way to introduce yourself. for something like that its basically drumming up conversation with a stranger and you have no real reason to seek him out in front of hundreds of people to ask him "hey did you get the last thing he/she said in lecture?". the best thing you can do is to create PROXIMITY by walking close to him or side by side to him and saying something like, "man, class sucked today or i barely stayed awake hahaha (if it was a boring lecture). these little "convo" starters are somewhat safe because he can say "yea me too" and laugh it off and keep moving and if he blows you off, it's not like you were hitting on him it just normal convo starters. if you're lucky, he will continue the conversation outside of class adn that can be an opener to you telling him your name and getting his. if you get that far, dont try and get over friendly right then and there and ask for his number. you know you will see him again so just play it cool and now you can start developiong a friendship.