1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Dating

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Marlowe, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Marlowe

So, now that I am out to the important people in my life. I can finally date, and I think that internet dating probably is a fairly decent place to start since I don't really run across many gay people in my daily life. That being said, I have looked at a bunch of profiles and none of them talk about coming out or their relative experience with dating and the like. Given that I have recently come out and have never even kissed someone which is maybe a little strange for someone my age (I never experimented), I feel like it is an important thing to mention. On the other hand, no matter how I write it, I sound insecure and self-conscious, which maybe I am a little bit, but not nearly as much as this makes it seem. So, should I not bother to talk about it? or if I should what should I say?

2. SFSorrow

I wondered about the same thing, and I was even older and in the same position. I put something like 'not been out long so not got much experience at this sort of thing' on my profile and it didn't seem to affect the kind of people who messaged me, and a few people even seemed to get in contact because they were at the same stage and so were in a similar mindset. I think at the moment I haven't got it on there (I'm always tinkering with what my profile says), so if I start talking to anybody and we talk for more than a few messages I'd mention that I've not been out long, so far nobody's ever thought it weird or stopped talking to me because of it so I think you should be fine if you put it on your profile. I figure if they are the kind to be put off by it they're unlikely to be my kind of person anyway.

3. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

try to make it an asset, not a liability. you could say "now ready to experience all that life has to offer" or "enjoying my new experiences in the gay community" or something like that. make it a bragging right, a badge of honor. some guys prefer those who haven't "been-around-the-block"