1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dl bi guy in closeted relationship with a new father. need some advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nycbiguy, Feb 7, 2012.

1. nycbiguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    hey everyone.

This is my first time posting but I need someone to talk to about this. I met this other dl bi guy about 4 ago and we've been hanging out ever since. He's 22 I'm 28. He lives a few hours away and comes to visit me every weekend and ocassionally we stay at a hotel near his house since I visit his area for work. We spoke for 2 weeks before we met and both of us already had feelings for each other. We were both single when we met and from the beginning I knew that his ex was pregnant and the baby was due soon. It didn't bother me at all since I really didn't expect to fall in love with another man, especially so quickly. Now the baby is here and I feel so conflicted about everything. He's been busy with the delivery and everything but calls me/ texts me whenever he has a chance. I just feel like the baby combined with us living 2 hours away will fuck everything up. I don't want to end this bc we really love each other but I feel like I should before I end up getting hurt/hurting him. We both decided very early on that we would be exclusive and ride this thing out before even thinking about pursuing a straight lifestyle but now I feel like I want to see what else is out there for me. I have a great career and a lot going for me and I'm not sure if I want to waste the last few years of my 20's trying to make something work with this guy. This is the first time either one of us had a dl relationship and while it's great I just don't know if I'm wasting my time. . Am I thinking too much about the future? He always tells me he loves me a lot and wants to be with me forever but I just don't know if that's possible given our situation. He's done everything right, we talk all the time, the sex is great we get along well but I just feel like it's a matter of time before this ends. He keeps telling me that nothing will change and he'll do whatever he has to do to make time to see me every weekend. I don't wanna push him away b/c of my constant worrying but I feel like over the next few months between parenthood (he lives about 10 mins from his childs mother) and working full time it will make it difficult for us to be together. I know that his child will and should always come first but I also want to know I'm important (which he tells me). I feel like now that he has the baby over time he will need me (emotionally or whatever) less and less and focus all his energy there. In a way I wish we took things a lot slower and gave him time to adjust to parenthood and ease into this relationship since this is a new experience for both of us. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. CrazyAntFarm

You've already covered everything I would've told you. Having a child is an important emotional event for anyone. I agree with you when you say that his child should come first. Unfortunately, because of that, your relationship just may suffer. Ultimately, the decision is yours whether or not you want to continue to see him.

But before you worry yourself too much about it, has anything actually changed yet? Do you still see him every weekend? Does he still claim to love and want to be with you? It's okay to worry a little, but maybe don't let it stress you so much out if nothing hasn't changed yet. Some things will probably change, but if your relationship doesn't ultimately suffer, there's no reason to break things off if you're still happy.

3. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

These are big days for both of you, so if you really want to stay with him, I would recommend sitting tight for a while while he gets accustomed to his new lifestyle and just support him. There will be challenges in every relationship and this won't be the first; relationships are hard work, but the benefits are greater. You can bring up the question to him now, but in a few months, things will be much clearer for both of you and you can talk with him with more insight about how you and he see where you both want to take it. On the other hand, if you have already dealt with all this and can not justify being with him in his current situation, then talk with him sooner than later to start dealing with your concerns. That way it's all above board.

And man, in no way will any of this be a waste. Everything that you do that contributes to truly loving him (or anyone, for that matter) will benefit you no matter what.

4. insidehappy

honestly i think that he sounds like he is showing you that although he has a kid now on the way, he still is into you and wants to make time for you. i think that if you want to be with him you have to be understanding of that and realize that some aspects of your current situation may change but as long as he still has the desire to be with you and you feel that and he is making the best of it, then if you have the desire to be with him, you need to work through it.

you could be with someone in your own city that is your own age and they are dl too and they do not have any kids and it can all still fall apart. so the kid thing is neither here or there. finding someone that loves you and that wants to be with you and willing to sacrifice and spread theirselves thin to juggle and be with you is rare.

so its basically on you. if you want to see what else is out there, if you feel like you knwo you are going to be jealous of the baby and the time he is spending with the baby, if you know you are going to get pissed off one weekend when lil man is sick and you he can't come see you...then you have to be honest with yourself and admit to yourself that you are not willing to compromise and you want what you want when you want it. that is neither bad or good, it is what it is, but you can't put it on the baby if the other person is doing everything they can to make you feel secure.

also, you said that you will both ride it out before deciding to live a straight lifestyle. that is very important thing you said. you should really take self inventory and see what you want long term with your life. if you think you can go back to girls and that's still an option, then really what are you doing with the guy anyway? by this i mean, right now you're wondering about the long term situation with this dude and if its going to work out because of the baby, but lets say the baby wasn't even in the picture.....do you want a long term relationship wtih a man. do you want a man to be your life partner? it sounded liek girls are still an option for both of you and that's fine but my point is, i wouldn't worry about long term with the guy if really you do not know yet what you want long term anyway (male/female). if you're going to break up, make sure the break up is about what's really going on because if someone is really trying to show you they like and want you, and you still want to break up, you gotta be upfront and say its about the fact that:

a. i dont know if i want to be with a dude long term anyway, or....
    b. this kid thing is really not what i want in the picture and i want to date someone that can just focus on our relationship and not anything else like a kid or a their child's mom, or....
    c. this is all kinda new to me and the thought of settling down right now is not something im sure i want. a part of me wants to explore and see what else is out there.... or...
    d. i really like this guy and this is new to me and i'm starting to have feelings for him and i dont want to be hurt if he ends up gettin back with his baby's mom or eventuallly phasing me out so maybe i am just going to cut it off first before i get hurt.

or all of teh above.

#4 insidehappy, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome to EC.

You sound like you've thought this through pretty well, and that's great. I get the feeling that he is serious about the relationship with you, and so I wouldn't just dump it because of the new baby.

Have a meaningful conversation with him. It sounds like he might still be torn a bit about his sexual orientation and his kid and how those two things interact. If so, you might consider directing him here to EC. It sounds like he's conflicted a bit (understandably) and might need some help.

But I'd be inclined to stick with it, at least for now... and see where it leads. Depending on what comes out of the conversation, you should have a clearer picture of where things might lead.

6. nycbiguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The baby was just born this past weekend so I suppose its too early to tell either way if things have changed. (the baby leaves the hospital 2morrow) He says that he wants to see me this weekend. The other day, before the baby was born I told him that maybe we shouldn't see each other for at least a month while he adjusts and he started crying saying that there's no reason to. He says he knows what he wants and that its being with me forever. Last night he called me and I told him about how much time I have been spending with my roommate and he said that he was jealous so I know that he's really into me, loves me etc. He promised me that he's always going to be there and that he's going to love me forever. I'm probably worrying for no reason but I really don't want to have my heartbroken. (as i was typing this he called me on his way home from work)

7. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

dude, it's probably a good idea to not let fear of you being hurt be your focus, it may sabotage a very good thing. and it's obvious you dig this guy, so keep supporting him and it will do good for both of you.

8. Mad Man L

I'd stay in the relationship. Just because he has a kid now, doesn't mean that the relationship needs to end. It sounds like he is really into you, and you are really into him, so (imo) there's no reason why the relationship couldn't continue to work.

9. insidehappy

u aint gonna find no dude that's crying over you and just had a baby. ummm you betta get yo mind right and stay put.

10. CrazyAntFarm

:lol: I'm inclined to agree with this. If he's physically crying while declaring his love, that's a keeper. It's way too early to worry right now. He seems to be smitten with you anyway. :thumbsup:

11. insidehappy

if you get bored with the new proud papa and feel like you wanna cut him loose, send him my way, i'll appreciate him and he sound like what im looking for. let me know if you all break up. lol

12. nycbiguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey what's u everyone?
    First, forgive me for any misspellings, I'm trying to get used to typing on an iPad.

So my guy and I haven't been talking too much this week bc we've both been really busy. Me with the gym work and my social life, him with work and the baby. We still talk but not much as usual. So last night he called me to say gn b4 he went to bed buti couldn't really talk since my roommate was around. Hes usually understanding when I have to be discreet and brief when we talk but he kept asking me what's wrong. He said something about how it sucked not talking a lot this week to which I replied " i know but it is what it is". After we hung up he texted me. I'll just type the convo

Him: I promise on everything I haven't changed one bit
    Me: I know, why do you keep saying that though? It's making me feel like I'm acting mad needy or something
    Him: ur not at all. I just feel like I'm not giving you enough attention at all and I'm really sorry
    Me: it's ok. I told you I'm gonna let u adjust to everything. We wil talk and see each other when we can.
    Him: it hurts me so much when unsay that as if we're just gonna be nothing and talk and see each other whenever. I really feel like it was in the beginning. I still love u more than anyone and I need to be w u. I miss coming there so much, as much as iwas. I swear to god, on my kid, I would love to still live over there.
    Me: I love u just as much. I'm sorry if I made u think that I don't care about the relationship. I just don't want to put pressure on u right now n I don't want u having to worry about finding time to come here.
    Him: when u said " it is what it is" it made me feel the worst I've felt in a long time. I understand ur side but I'm really into u a lot and love u so much.

We talked some more and said we'll talk more when he is here tomorrow. I'm curious to see how this whole thing plays out.

13. insidehappy

honestly bro, it sounds like to me that you are creating the issue and when i read the "it is what it is part" i also felt like 'wow, why did he say that". when people say 'it is what it is," it basically means, "hey, i dont care either way, im good with it whatever way" and that is very apathetic especially if you're in a relationship with someone.

let's look at this closely. the guy is calling you before he goes to sleep and texting throughout the day. he understand your discreet living situation and respects that. he just had a baby and is trying everything he can to let you see that it hasn't changed how he feels about you. and he is showing adn telling you taht he is into.

so honestly the person with the issue here sounds like its you. you are pulling away because you are afraid of getting hurt. that's understandable and if you had reason to believe that he was going to play you off now that the baby is in the picture, then sure, i would pull back a little too. but he is 22 and has maturely let you know what's up and that he still wants you around.

this sounsd like self sabotage to me and maybe you're not really all that into him or the situation in general and you're pulling away and using the baby as an excuse to depart. if thats teh case, dont put it on him or the baby because its not the real reason you are pulling away.

if you are really diggin this guy but this is new for you and you're afraid of being hurt, then you can't turn the tables and create situations when someone is telling you that's not the case.

it sounds like to me you are the one that needs to "adjust" to the situation and you're in your own little way kinda doing that. but even if that is the case and you need a little break, then you have to communicate that to him and make it more about what's going on with you versus making it about what has happened in the situation with teh baby.

when you say "im curious to see how it plays out" its like you're giving up on this. if you still wanna be with him that's how it will play out. in every situation or relationship, there's no guarantee you'll be there forever. people fall in and out of love all the time, but if you both love each other and if you both are trying to make it work, then i dont see what's teh problem. right now, you appear to teh party in the relationship that is not trying to make it work. you are not putting pressure on him. he is not going to be able to come as much or it may not be exactly the same but he wants to make it work

he sounds like a great person and you sound like a great person. im just saying that if you really wnat this to work, then you have to let him know you're in it to win it too. this is the first relationship for you and for him i think you said with anohter guy. just dont end up kicking yourself because you let this guy get away and then you go out there and realize how good you had it. its very rare to find someone you are into, and to find someone that is willing to do what it takes to be with you and to find someone that can communicate as he has about his feelings, especially a dude. so give it a chance. may or may not work out, but that's with any relationship. baby or no baby.

#13 insidehappy, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  14. nycbiguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So my guy came this weekend. After 2 whole weeks of not seeing each other this was exactly what we both needed. Things were pretty tense last week due to the birth of his baby and my hectic work responsibilities. We had a heart to heart and now it's how it was in the beginning. We reassured each other that we would do all we could to make this work. After he left we started texting...
    Me: I know you're Going to bed soon but I can't talk right now. Goodnight bae. Thank you for coming this weekend. We have something special I think
    Him: I know we have something special bae, I love u so much. I'm never going to do anything to let it stop. I promise you that you're a very important person to me and I never want to lose you (my name). I love you more than anything and I know we're gonna last.

I'm really happy right now. It feels exactly how it did when we started talking 4 months ago. We have been texting since early this morning and he called me during his break at work. I know that this won't be easy but I'm willing to put in the effort to make this work. I love this kid so much and I think that I owe it to both of us to give it my best shot.

15. CrazyAntFarm

One of the best pieces of advice I have ever seen... :eusa_clap

---------- Post added 13th Feb 2012 at 01:58 PM ----------

I'm glad you're more at ease, dude. Sometimes, we all need a little reassurance. Just remember not to stress too much about it, okay?

16. nycbiguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey, it's been a while since I last posted. Things are going very well with me and my guy. I feel like I'm nervous to post about it in too much detail because I don't want to jinx it. He told me when he's taking his vacation from work and asked me if I'd spend a week with him. I'm thinking about surprising him with a trip to Miami or something. He really wants to move here and I'm thinking that maybe in 6 months that might be a good idea. I'm still nervous about my future since neither of us have intentions on ever coming out, but I'm just going to live in the present and enjoy what we have. It's so awesome bc we are both very masculine and straight acting so hangin out in public is never uncomfortable. I can't believe I found someone I'm so attracted to both physically and emotionally. He left on 2 hrs of sleep on Monday just so he could be here with me for one more night. This kids really amazing...Hope everything is going well for ythose of you who are reading.

17. insidehappy

i love it. good luck.

18. gleekfanatic

gleekfanatic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hope it goes well!

19. nycbiguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks a lot guys. I'll be sure to update as things progress.

20. nycbiguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey everyone,

It's def been a while since i posted haha. just a little update on what's been going on this past year. so my guy and i are still together. its been quite a ride, some good, some bad, but we're still here. I did some shady shit on craigslist that he found out about, where i was just talking to guys as a fantasy, but never met up with them. obviously this damaged the trust between us, but i think i've done a good job at reaasuring him that i really don't want anyone else but him. we "broke up" for 2 days a few months ago after a series of constant arguments, but after not speaking to each other for those 2 days we both decided that we want to be together.

Now there are a few issues that I need some advice on. I'm not too comfortable with the baby situation to be honest. I hardly ever bring his kid up in convo, except for the same thing i'd say to a coworker (hows the baby, he's cute) When he was born he said "get ready to be a godfather" but over this past year i've only become more uncomfortable about it. He was house sitting for his grandparents a few months ago and early in the morning he picked up the baby and brought him to the house while i was sleeping and put him in bed with us. that made me really uncomfortable for some reason and i left after about an hour, saying i had things to do. I hate to admit it, but i almost secretly resent the kid b/c i know that if he wasnt born we would probably be living together already. Of course i try to be as supportive as I can, but it is something that bothers me. He's tried to involve me in his kids life, and has asked a few times if he can bring him to new york when his ex is busy but i always say no. His kids bday passd and i didnt even buy him a gift, but am i supposed to???? i feel so shitty that i didn't, but i almost feel like its over stepping my boundaries. I know how ppl can get with their kids and i'm very sensetive to that, but i dont know what to do. i'm sure it bothers him that i dont take any real interest in his kid...or does it?
    The other thing that's bothering me, which is only partly related to him, but i'm starting to feel a little lonely and depressed during the week when he's not here. I feel like i've sacrificed a few friendships b/c my weekends are obviously busy with him and ppl will stop asking you to hang out after a year and change of excuses haha. Besides that, i'm getting older and some of my friends are in serious relationships or parents themselves, and some i've just simply outgrown, so that just leaves me bored when i'm not working or hanging out with my remaining friends a few times a week. I've started going to the gym again, but i need to meet new ppl, i just don't know how. It sucks b/c he's really busy between work and his kid so i feel ilke hes perfectly content with how much we hang out when i wish we could hang out more. Of course he says he wishes he can spend more time with me, but i know that it doesnt bother him as much as its been bothering me lately. Also, a few weeks ago he randomly said that he wants to look for an apt where he lives and he's now actively looking for a place. i guess what bothers me about that is that although he still says he wants to move to nyc to be w me, he obviously is looking to commit to an apt where he lives. On one hand it might be great that he lives on his own, providing more opportunity for me to visit him when he can't come here. On the other hand, it just confirms that our hopes of living together def won't be happening, at least not for a very long while.
    Lately I've just been down about our whole relationship I guess. It's fine when we're together, but during the week it's hard. This is my first gay relationship, it's long distance (only 2 hours, but still) and we're both completely closeted. On top of that he has a 1+ year old so as you can see our relationship is pretty complicated. Sometimes I wonder if I should just end this since he can't give me everything that I want, but is that selfish? I'd hate to turn my back on him b/c he really is a good guy and he loves me a lot and i do too, but this relationshp is really leaving me stressed out and worried lately. I admit, a lot of it has to do with my own insecurities and issues (such as eventually wanting kids) but i don't know what to do. I guess I can use some advice, or just someone to talk to. I just wanna emphasize that when he's here we really do have a good time and i enjoy spending time with him, but it's just the other 5 days during the week that's getting hard... He's coming over right now and I don't even feel excited, I actually just feel like i want to cry for some reason haha. dont judge me.

I know that the grammar and structure of this entry is horrible, but my head is pretty cloudy and i really just needed to get some of my thoughts out.