1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out again?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by VIPInspirit, Feb 7, 2012.

1. VIPInspirit

I think I'm at an all time loss right now...I just met the girl of my dreams and I couldn't be more happier in my life than right at this very moment.

But recently I've been running down in my head all the scenarios that could happen with my parents...my mom mainly. She's a Jehovah's Witness, so you know homosexuality mentioned in a good light in this house is like an instant taboo. I've only really told my mom once that I was attracted to the opposite as well as the same sex, but when I told her at the time I said it in a way that wouldn't have her jumping down my throat, plus I was 15 so there wouldn't have been much I could have done about it anyway. I haven't really talked about it since then and I never really talk about being attracted to anyone other than guys because I know she wouldn't have a problem with that.

Honestly I never thought that I would have to deal with this but ever since I met my girlfriend, I've been thinking about it a lot lately. I know I'm going to need to come out again, to my mom, so she can see that I was not going through a rebellious phase in my life, and that I meant it. I don't even really want her to accept my choice, I just want her to be happy for me because someone is finally making me feel like no other. It's hard enough to go against everything I've ever been taught about homosexuality. I know that I am not detestable and disgusting, and I hate being made to feel like that just because I am in love with a girl.

I just don't know what I should do. I just want to be happy but I don't want to be shunned by my parents over something so trivial...

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

This is definitely a hard situation to be in.

How did your mom respond when you first told her? Did she freak out? Did she think you were just going through a phase? Its a tough call whether or not to come out to parents so its not something to do lightly. Specially when such a strict religion is involved.

Maybe, instead of focusing on your parents, you can focus more on your friends and other people that you trust in. I know it has to be tough, but not knowing the whole situation is hard to tell how your parents will react.

3. stephaniko

I had the same problem with my grandmother. I came out to her and she said I wasn't actually attracted to girls. I was about 15 as well and it was hard to break it to her that it wasn't a phase. She is christian and brought god into the argument. its always hard to come out but maybe it will be a little easier since you already gave her a bit of a heads up