1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In need of advice...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by VIPInspirit, Feb 9, 2012.

1. VIPInspirit

A question:

How would you come out to your parents if you know they wouldn't agree with it or even try to tolerate it for you? I just really need help with this....please...

2. InaRut

Well, the first thing you have to ask yourself is....
    Are you ready to come out? Are you ready to face the consequences of coming out...but also, Are you ready to reap the benefits as well?

It's good that you are ready to come out to your parents, or at least thinking about it. There's nothing worse then that terrible feeling one gets of being in the closet. Just make sure you are ready for whatever may happen next. Try running some scenario's in the back of your head...from most dramatic to, "Wow, that went better then expected." It always helps me when I have to confess something.

Also, make sure you have a STRONG group of friends to back you up. Trust me, this is VERY important.

That being said, the question here is HOW you should do it. Many people on this site have used a variety of techniques to come out to their parents.
    The two most popular techniques are:

The pulling of the band-aid technique, "Mom, Dad, I'm gay/bi/whatever."
    and
    The letter writing technique, "Dear Mom/Dad: There something I have to tell you but I'm too nervous to tell you in person."

The fact of the matter is...There really is only one way to come out, be it written, said, or played out in an elaborate theatre, it's about finding that little bit of courage inside of yourself and saying what must be said.

I hope that helps and good luck! <3

Hint: Refer to the Coming-Out section for TONS of stories on how people came out. Even my story is in there somewhere. But it's a bit lack lustre as I cheated the whole coming out biz.