1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Army questions/concerns

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alex94, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

First of all thank you for reading this. :slight_smile:

So here is the thing I took the ASVAB on November 1, 2011. I recieved a score of 45, I really do not know how I did based on this...A 45 seems like it would be very bad but I still wanted to ask about this.

Additionally I wanted to know what I should be doing to prepare myself physically, I don't work out on a regular basis so I am not sure if I am physically ready for Basic Training.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated, also any personal experiences anyone would like to share would be absolutley amazing.

Thank you EC'ers.

#1 Alex94, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2012
  2. b0i70y

45 is kind of low, but average is about 44-52, so you're in the range of most people. You can also retake it at any time. In regards to training, your best bet is to work cardio and core. Make sure you can run a good distance, and that you're endurance is high.

I was training to get into the Marines, so I had to work a hell of a lot harder than any of my Army buddies, if that's any consolation.

3. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

"45 is kind of low, but average is about 44-52, so you're in the range of most people."
    -I was actually thinking about taking it again next time my school offers it, but my fear is I would do worse...I have no idea how to prepare for taking it. When I took it in November I went in for the test 3 days after I found out my school was offering it, I basicly went in blind.

"I was training to get into the Marines, so I had to work a hell of a lot harder than any of my Army buddies, if that's any consolation."
    -How did this go for you? Good, or bad?

4. Ianthe

5. Bibliophile

As stated your score is about average but I would study and take it again because it opens up more MOS's for you and thus more bargaining room. Also as for boot. RUN, run, run , then work on push ups and sit ups. Get your cardio on and work your core as stated. After that make sure you can do well over the minimum for all the PFA requirements. Oh and you might want to get used to running with a weighted pack.

6. Bradley

I never went through American boot camp, I'm Canadian military, but the thing I remember most about basic training was the running (I still have this incredibly vivid memory of running as a platoon down a road with 10 ft snowbanks on each side in a blizzard at 5am...*shudder*). You should be able to run at least 5km (3 miles) before you show up, otherwise you will be one hurting soldier after a few days. Pushups, situps, chinups are all a must as well. Find out the standard for the fitness test you must pass and make sure you exceed it.

My advice to you is to start working out on a regular basis.

7. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

"After that make sure you can do well over the minimum for all the PFA requirements."
    -I don't know what the minimum is though so I won't know if I can exceed it...

---------- Post added 9th Feb 2012 at 06:20 PM ----------

Thank you very much for this. :slight_smile:

8. Gallatin

Yeah, like everybody else said, study for it and take it again. My friend and I took it in high school, and he got like 30 something, and then he studied and took it again the next time it was offered, and raised his score by about twenty I think.

9. Bibliophile

Ace this might help 2012 US Army (APFT) Scoreing Standards that should give you all the info you need on fitness standards. Good luck man. Oh and try P90X if you do the full 90 days of that..... I am sure you will be ok in boot. That program is worse then my basic was.

10. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Thank you all so very much. :slight_smile: