1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Tell My Mom or Brother?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by secretguyX, Feb 10, 2012.

1. secretguyX

So, i came out to three of my friends in the past two months, and some other people I don't know very well too (long story). Most were fine about it. Anyways, I don't know if I should tell my mom or brother. I've felt this way for almost two years now, and have been absolutely sure for about half a year or more. I think my mom would be decent about it. I mean I have a gay cousin, and she had though my brother gay (even though I highly doubt he is). She seems alright about the subject, not completely fine, but she doesn't hate it, she just wants people to be happy. But she has said although my cousin being gay is fine, she'd rather not see anything, such as him and a boyfriend kissing, because she still prefers straight couples. But she watches Modern Family, Ellen, etc... and doesn't mind too much.

Anyways, now about my brother. He just turned 18, and i'll be turning 14 soon. We aren't extremely close, but we still talk and stuff. I don't know how he feels about gays to be honest. He had a gay friend, who he thought had a crush on him. They aren't friends anymore, because he was the reason my brother's girlfriend broke up with him, or so he believes. Back to this. I watch Degrassi, PLL, and other shows that have gay couples in them, and he kind of makes fun of them. Well not makes fun of them, but points it out. Like, oh, that guys gay, stuff like that. Like no, really? Obviously, considering he's kissing a guy. Sorry I kind of get off topic. But I don't know his view on LGBT issues and such.

Anyways, my point is, should I come out to one of them? I feel, well relieved, now that some of my friends know, and plan on telling some others in the near future. I never really thought of telling my mom, but i kind of feel like i'm lying. Well not lying, but it's still unhonest. And I'm not sure about my brother. Any advice?

2. fedora777

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well id tell your mum so your parents get to know you as bisexual. She sounds like she'd understand, but remember to give her time to let it sink in also so dont just throw it in her especially during an argument. As for your brother, id hold off and first talk to your mum and then see what she thinks.

3. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems to me that, around your age range, its better to come out to siblings first as parents are more likely to still see you as their little kid. Your mother is more likely to dismiss you as being too young to know.

I dont know your mom or brother though. You know best.

4. secretguyX

That's what I was thinking, i mean it may be easier for her to get used to it telling her earlier on, but she may think it's just a phase i'm going through, and I know for sure it's not. What I'm also worried about with her is thinking I like my girl friends, which I don't, and feeling awkward when I'm around them now too. I guess my brother may take it more seriously, but I still don't know, he still seems to think of me as a younger sister, which I am, but might think the same.