1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I bring it up?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by musicgeek13, Feb 12, 2012.

1. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

Hey I'm a senior in high school and have finally admitted to myself that I am lesbian. I'm not ready to tell everyone yet but, I want to tell one of my best friends, who is gay, but I don't know what to say. Anybody been in similar situations and have advice?

2. secretguyX

I've been in the same situation, although i'm only in 8th grade. It took me over a year to tell someone. The way I told the first person (i couldn't say the words yet, i don't know why) was - she was asking me who i liked a lunch, because she'd wanted to know for a while, and she tried guessing, and after a million guesses she asked if I liked a girl. I just shook my head. But I wouldn't recommend that, it's best to just say it. They'd obviously be understanding if they are gay as well. One day when they're talking about someone they like, you can say, "So, can i tell you something?", or something similar. Or when you're just having a casual conversation you can say the same. Good luck!

3. Marlowe

Unfortunately there is not really a good way to bring this up and frankly depending on who you are it takes a lot of practice. After being out to my friends for a few months, I still have to work up the courage to talk about boys, even though they have no problem with it. here are two strategies that i have used. One is to text or write a letter. This is good if you are having trouble the first time, and you might even say, I want to chat about this, but I can't work up the courage, so they will be the one to initiate it. If you want to to them yourself, you could specifically say, "can we meet, I have something I need to tell you." This way, they will ask what is is that you have to say to them even if you get cold feet.

4. secretguyX

I have the same problem, i don't bring up girls I like really ever, although they would probably feel more comfortable with the whole situation if I did. But Marlowe is right, you should tell them you have something important to tell them so you can't back out of it.

5. jake v

I have found the best way to say something is just to say it. Now you don't just say "Hey (name) I'm a homosexual!" The best way I have found is just saying, "hey can we talk about something quick?" Then just go about it in a casual way. It always took me forever to get the words out but once I did, it always felt so awesome to get off my chest.

I hope all the beat to you telling your friend. Remember she had to go through the exact same stuff as you, don't be surprised if she starts laughing about being so worked up about it.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's actually fairly easy to do, especially to somebody else who's gay. "Can I ask you something? I've come to the realization that I'm gay, and I really have no idea what to do about coming out, or anything like that. Can I sort of pick your brain about that?"

Lex

7. Tracker57

The way I've brought it up is that I tell my friend that I have something I like to tell them about myself that I haven't told many people. (That makes them feel special, close, and that you trust them.) And I usually state it in reverse to cushion the impact. I usually say, "I'm not attracted to women at all. I never have been." And usually I gage my friend's reaction. Within about two sentences, we're both freely talking about things.

With a gay friend, she'll probably say, "Welcome to the club!"

Tracker

8. EvangelinesLost

Well I had a hard time telling my two straight friends but they took it extremely well so
    knowing your friend is gay, as everyone said: it is really easy! Don't worry or think about it too much just come out and say it, "So yeah I am lesbian" will work or anything to that effect. Since your friend is gay they will probably be excited lol. Good luck with telling him/her!