1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online guy says he loves me, danger or dream come true

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by quietman702, Feb 12, 2012.

1. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A fellow member of a mutual hook up site approached me online to tell me that he loves me. I'm flattered and happy, our chats are great he knows I don't have money etc.. I have intentionally withheld private info as I always do. One part of says go for it, another part no way. I'm wondering if any one else has been in the same situation?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I'll need more info.

* How long have you been chatting?
    * How close are you two, distance-wise?
    * Have you met/hooked-up yet?
    * What makes him think he loves you?
    * How old are you two?

Lex

3. Ianthe

Wait... He approached to say he loves you? Like, you had never even talked before, and he loves you? Because that would be weird... I mean, regardless of whatever feelings he may have, he should know that you don't just say you're in love with someone when you are introducing yourself. Because it's weird.

However, as you are not exactly a teenager that someone is trying to take advantage of, it would probably be okay to meet him. Meeting him does not amount to a commitment of any kind: you are just meeting him.

In case you are unfamiliar with the normal safety precautions for meeting someone you've been talking to on the Internet, meet in a public place, and make sure someone else knows what you're up to.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm echoing Ianthe's thoughts. If the person approached you (without prior contact) and said he loves you... huge alarm bells go off.

Anybody that would do that to someone they've never met is, at the least, not well adjusted socially. But likely a lot worse off than that.

Now... if you've met online and talked before, then it's a different story, but even then, still odd unless you've been talking a bunch.

As to whether to meet... in this particular case, I'd suggest talking a bunch online first and getting a sense of who he is. Maybe have a Skype video chat and see how he behaves before meeting in person. I agree that meeting isn't necessarily bad, but I feel like this is probably not a good situation for you, so that's why I'm suggesting doing a bit of work to rule him out if he's crazy or otherwise completely socially clueless first.

5. Whoknows

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    um, You are already asking yourself if meeting him is a good idea...
    so it's not,
    if he was someone you really fall for then you wouldn't have doubts about meeting him,imo
    (sorry if it sounds cliche and unrealistic)

6. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks guys, I hear you loud and clear! You probably think I'm pretty dense :bang: but never had it happen before. I have decided that this guy is definitely danger (if he's even real). I am so thankful for EC, it's great to know that I have a place to come to ask questions and get genuine feedback. Thanks again.

---------- Post added 13th Feb 2012 at 10:16 AM ----------

Sorry Whoknows, please don't be offended, I use guys as a general word, non gender, for all people.

7. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never meet up with someone who you havent, at least, talked on the phone with first.

Skype is also a good thing.

I dont think the fact that hes just contacted you out of the blue and said that he loves you automatically makes him a danger. It makes him lonely. Maybe it also makes him desperate. It makes him passionate. It makes him forward.

If you like him, keep talking to him.

8. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You make some good points Robert. My hesitation is that I've not been able to speak to him directly. He says that he's in the service and is in the middle east, and he can't use phones or Skype etc due to security concerns... which is possible. I'm using allot of caution here as I just came out a few months back. I want to explore and enjoy my new found freedom but don't want to be stupid either.

---------- Post added 13th Feb 2012 at 11:13 AM ----------

Hi Lex, we've been chatting for about a month, I'm in the USA and he's in the middle east on deployment, we have not met, he says that he loves me as he likes my laid back way of chatting (yet very frank/direct) and my pics (lol)... he is 48 and I am 56.

9. insidehappy

sorry man, but this is a weirdo. who tells someone they love them after a month of chatting online without meeting or without talking.

he could be in teh middle east or he could be in your hometown lying. either way, he seems weird.

when online dating, here are some things to watch out for:

1. if you can never seem to get a person to give you a picture, skype, or even talk on the phone...then cut the ties with them. doesn't mean they are crazy but it does indicate they have something they either want to hide or they they are so uncomfortable with theirseleves or sexuality that it wont work anyway. continued excuses not to provide this information is a tell tell sign.

2. overtures of love that come fast and quick: "you're the best thing i ever chatted with". I feel like im falling for you, i love you, i feel like we just click and we're really meant to be.......watch out for these types of sayings especially if you have not met them. this is someone that is a bit warpped because anyone in their right mind may have an attraction to you but knows that until you meet, there's no way you guys can really see if you like each other.

3. prolonged chatting with out meeting.....does he always have an excuse as to why he can't meet? does something always seem to come up that prevents a meeting..? person is hiding something and i suggest you end communication.

4. convoluted stories: is there some big story that seems really unreal. 9 out of 10 times, it is.

10. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Very good points insidehappy! You remind me of the old Better Business Bureau slogan "If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't".

11. insidehappy

no problem. everyone from the internet is not crazy but it does allow you to mask and hide yourself so you have to be careful. the most concern is when you get 2 or more of these watchouts that come all together with one person. then you know something isn't right.

12. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've made up my mind to stop the online relationship. I'm following my inner voice to do this, it has been screaming at me from day one to stop. Guess I was thinking with the wrong part of my body.

13. newkidintown

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi quiteman702,

I have encounter the same problem when a man approach me on online dating site. He's not from my country and he said he found my profile because he visited my country a month ago. Se we started to chat using whatsapp and during our fist day of chatting he said that he loves me and would like to marry me if i'm ok with that. So i feel kinda weird and i doubt him for that. so i said that i was doubtful of him and ask him to prove that i can trust him. but then he said that he doesn't have any other social media account for me to read sth about him. So i said that we should not continue chatting because i think he's might be a liar.

After a week i feel bad about what i did to him and i contacted him back because i thought if he has other motive, he must have convince me again after i dump him. so maybe i can trust him again. But this time he said he already have someone else since i doubt him. He is coming to my county to meet his new BF and he said he want to meet me. but i said i just want to be his friend but he insisted that i'm his first love and he still love me. So i said to him that i am not ready for a serious relationship and told him that i rather not to meet him if meeting him is going to give him a false impression and false hope. So he stop contacted me after that.

So,
    1- Do you think that i did a right thing by doubting him?
    2- Can i trust him because if he is dangerous or has another motive he must have convince me again if he has a bad motive?

Hope you can help me...

14. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Dear newkidintown,

I believe you did the right thing in doubting him and in my opinion he doesn't have your best interest in mind. You have to wonder why he's proposing marriage and you don't even know him or have met him personally. This is most always a danger sign to "beware and stay away", in other words it most likely be a nightmare. Above keep your safety in mind. Take care quietman

15. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Another thing to consider is that a lot of time if non-citizens marry someone in the USA, they can more easily get permanent residence.

But loving someone without knowing them is ridiculous in its own right. Sounds like someone to add to the ignore list.

16. newkidintown

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you quiteman702 and codeforlife,

I am actually not from USA and it is not allowed for anyone to be gay in my country. so i don't think that he want to marry me for citizenship plus he said he wants to bring me to his country with him

anyway, i agree that its weird to love someone without meeting him. Glad that i am not the only person who thinks like that.

So i will stop text him and stop feeling bad for rejecting him

Regards,
    Newkidintown