1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hate within the LGBT community

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by stephaniko, Feb 13, 2012.

1. stephaniko

So something I've noticed but really can't come to understand is some members of the LGBT community mistreating and just over all being mean to other members.

What I mean is this: some gay people hate on bisexuals for not making up their mind, some bisexuals hate on gay and lesbian people for being closed minded. Certain transgender people are mean to asexual or bigender people.

Anyway, I've just noticed looking around the internet that there are a lot of problems within our community and I guess I am just wondering if anyone knows why this happens and if you are one of those people please help me out here.

I am just confused as to why we are busy being mad at each other when we are supposed to be united. I would think that support within a group of people who know what you are going through would be best.

So far I haven't encountered it on this site just on others and on television.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I not "one of those people" but I think that these people do this because they have little understanding of these gender identities and sexual orientations.

As a bisexual-bigendered person myself, I usually get this too... so I understand how annoying it is.

3. Hot Pink

I personally don't mind bigendered and or genderqueer people. In fact, I find genderqueer girls to be extremely attractive.

I have witnessed a few instances of homosexuals not getting along with bisexuals. It's not something I understand. I have two friends that are bisexual and they're both cool people. It's not about not making up their mind, it's just they like both. I don't personally see a problem with it.

4. Elven

Although we all get grouped together as LGBT (+ Q, Pan or whatever else you'd like to add to it) the reason for that is mostly because we all have to suffer very similar problems in identifying who we are, getting acceptance, etc, and often a person cannot make up where it is they fit in this group, as gay, bi or indeed transgendered since many transgendered people may just mistake their feelings and state of mind as that they are gay or something before fully realising that they feel they are the wrong gender. Some people don't really fit in a specific place or just lean towards one more than the others.

However with all the similarities and groupings that hardly means that they understand each other, often with people it takes enough out of them to accept the fact they might be bi or gay, etc without having to accept the others for who they are, at least not straight away. Plus, especially with homosexuals, there are many who hate their sexuality or perceived gender, even if they admit it, and so are very unaccepting. Also considering there are a huge number of people in all of these groups with every personality under the sun, some people are just dicks.

5. Katelynn

Its really screwed up, I agree. Believe me, Ive seen a lot of instances of trans people discriminating & hating other trans people simply because they arent trans the same way they are. What they dont understand is that being trans is different for each person, its not a coockie cutter pattern of uniformity. And Ive also read about how hard some lesbians can be towards trans women who identify as lesbians as well, it isnt pretty either, some treat us with mistrust. Not all of them, but it is hard. I too find it very difficult to understand how people who all belong in the LGBT groups can hate & discriminate against each other when they themselved know what it feels like & the only thing I can come up with to understand that is it is theyre own way of dealing with being treated like that is to, in turn, hate someone else, sort of like a trickle down effect, the whole 'I feel like crap, so to feel better about myself, Im going to make someone else who's like me feel worse, since everyone else picks on them as well' kind of mentality. Totally makes no sense at all, but I can see how some people would choose to cope with hate by behaving the same way themselves towards others who are discriminated against...

6. Kernel Panic

it is in every single group represented on the internet,to use an example which am very familiar with [had been a part of it for years until driven out by the elitism and prejudice]-the autistic community.
    there are many people who accept all others on the spectrum regardless of their position on it,but unfortunately there is a large vocal group with HF aspergers who refuse to see the rest of us on the spectrum as equals.....there is a opposite group to that as well- those who have aspergers believing their life experiences and the way they have been helped can speak for the rest of us elsewhere on the spectrum,usualy preaching it to parents of kids who are on the severe and profound spectrums of autism, which has for years built a silly rift between autistics and parents,and at the same time,alienating those of us with severe autism who exist on the internet and are looked down on by both people elsewhere on the spectrum and parents who think we dont exist because their young child cant use a computer or a forum.
    -we are all on the same spectrum,we all have similarities and differences,we shoudnt be alienating each other or using a hierarchy.....and this is exactly the same thing with LGBT and sexuality overrall- different shoud not mean inferior.

the human race is very overated.

7. insidehappy

instead of uniting many disinfranchised groups splinter and fight amongst theirselves because each group is jockeying to be the "better" one of the community. each mini group thinks his/her view is right or better than the other. also when you are discriminated against, you dont want to be like the sterotypical image so you tend to bash the negative images and anyone you think portrays those images.