1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really confused...might be transgender...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DragonGrad09, Feb 13, 2012.

1. DragonGrad09

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all,

Maybe you can help to point me in the right direction. I'm out right now as lesbian, but I'm not sure that's accurate. I do, indeed, love women, but I think I might be transgender. I'm twenty-two and haven't really had all the "typical" experiences I've read about online. I've often fantasized about having different parts. But I haven't identified as male to anyone at all. I am the more masculine one in any relationship. I don't have a super great image of myself as a woman. I'm not sure I'm willing to actually say I'm transgender. It's a huge step. Also, living where I do, it would be very difficult. I really want to be sure before I say anything to anyone else. I don't fit in with the girls because I'm not really "girlie" and I don't fit in with the guys because I have the wrong parts. I've identified more with guys my entire life. As you can probably tell, I'm pretty confused right now. Anything?

Thanks in advance!

2. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well DragonGrad09, I'm not really sure I can help, but I can let you know that you're not alone in your thoughts. I'm a pansexual male and like you I've had those thoughts of having different parts and had trouble fitting in with the male/female crowds for the same (or reversed) reasons as you.

When you say that you are not sure if you're willing to actually say that you're transgender, do you mean you do not want to say you are (to us or others) or that you feel more gender neutral, rather than female or male?

3. DragonGrad09

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, if I am, I'm not going to be ashamed to admit it. But I guess I just want to be sure first. I'm not sure I'm willing to admit it to anyone until I know for sure. I'm leaning more and more that way, but it's a delicate situation with where I live.

4. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What way is it you're leaning though? Gender neutral? or male?

5. DragonGrad09

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, I'm leaning more male for sure.

6. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well then at this point it just seems like you have to look at everything and ask yourself if you think you are a man. Whether or not you tell anyone doesn't matter, but if you think anything about you is, or should be, male than it seems that would make it a bit cleaer

7. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Oh, it doesn't get any less confusing. I look to Samoan society, where gay men are sort of considered to be women, just with different bodies. As a result, it's not even considered to be "gay" for a supposedly heterosexual man to have sexual intercourse with a "fa'afafine." In fact, these "female-boys" are not even supposed to have sex with each other.

Well, if I think of myself in those terms, I can think, "well, in terms of how I relate to others, I'm female. In terms of how I evaluate myself, I'm female. In terms of what I do in bed, I'm female." After all of that, I can overlook having a male body. It's just a peculiarity of my existence. It's not a hideously ugly male body, so I count my blessings.

Then again, I understand that this kind of idea isn't going to work for everybody, so you really have to think about what YOU individually need.

#7 Christiaan, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  8. seeksanctuary

Hi there!

First of all, get the "it'll be difficult" thing out of your mind. It'll be difficult no matter who or where you are; being trans isn't easy. If worrying about the ease of transition is part of the problem you're having, toss it out the window as if it doesn't even matter, because in the long run... nope, it doesn't matter. It's going to suck sometimes and nothing can change that.

That said, you need to sit down and seriously look at this issue. Yeah, you identify as being more masculine and sometimes picture yourself with other parts; a lot of people do that and aren't transsexual. Some, however, ARE transgender. The difference? Transsexual people tend to want to medically transition. Do you actually WANT to be male? Do you want to be seen by your partners as male? Could you handle being seen as a straight man, dating a straight woman? Does the idea of people thinking you have a penis appeal to you? Does the idea of having those body parts appeal to you?

If the answer is yes, you might be transsexual. If the answer is "maybe", "yes but", "I don't know" or "not exactly"... you could still be transgender, but I suggest looking into genderqueer, genderfluid, etc.

More details might be useful. Like, how you see yourself on a day to day basis, what you feel like in relation to the idea of being male, etc.

9. stephaniko

I often felt the same way about fitting in with any certain gender. Being girly just doesn't really work but I'm too scared to hang out with my friends as my male presentation because i'm... not a male. I understand completely. I know I cant really help all that much just thought you should know that other people feel that same disphoria.

10. DragonGrad09

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all for your feedback. It's very helpful to know that I'm not alone. I'm becoming more and more comfortable with the idea of me being transgender, so that's good. Even if it turns out to be nothing, it's good to know that I'm getting the confidence to at least explore the possibility. I'm meeting with someone on Saturday who might be able to help me know where to go next. Thanks again for all of your support.

11. DragonGrad09

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    After reading a few more posts, I'm almost certain that I'm transgender. I don't think I'll ever want to transition...at least not right now anyway. But I am more comfortable with thinking of myself as a male and not just a masculine lesbian. Still lots of searching to do, but I'm getting an idea of who I am.