1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it bad that...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LailaForbidden, Feb 13, 2012.

1. LailaForbidden

...I think that when people become more fundamental in their religion (specifically christian) they forfeit the freedom to think freely? honestly, i feel horribly pompous and arrogant when i say this kind of stuff. But - in my experiences - it seems like the more religious they become, the more self-rightious and (ironically) self-absorbed they become. You see, i only ask this because one of my friends (who knows nothing about my sexuality, mind you) has been on a three month crusade to try to convert me, and its really starting to annoy me. i know she has good intentions... but i like my opinions and, quite honestly, i'm comfortable (as in, i dont believe my soul is in jeopardy) believing in humanity over god. its not like i'm murdering baby seals...why can't she respect that my opinoins are different then hers? what should i do?

2. Kidd

Kidd Guest

If I had a friend try something like that for such an extended period of time I would simply cut them out of my life and move on. Whenever she brings it up tell her how you feel. Don't be scared to stand up for yourself. Tell her that you listened to what she had to say and you don't agree, and then tell her to just drop it, because it's starting to hurt your friendship. I think you should really start to evaluate how valuable this friend will be down the road from now when you come out to her. If you can't see her accepting you as you are, and it sounds to me like she won't, then I think you should replace her. It's important to surround yourself with people who will give you the positive energy and support you need.

If I were in your shoes though, I would have a little fun with it first. "Yes, your Jesus is very handsome, but I want to talk to you about Krishna now." Ask her some really inappropriate questions. "What was Jesus like as a teenager? Do you think Jesus shaved his pubes, or not? Do you think he ever looked at one of his own poops? If Jesus had crabs, what would he do to get rid of them?" Get creative. I think my personal favorite question to ask Christian extremists is; "Do you remember when God was so loving that he drowned all but two puppies?" It shuts them up quick.

#2 Kidd, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2012
  3. Hexagon

Its not just christianity.

"i'm comfortable (as in, i dont believe my soul is in jeopardy) believing in humanity over god" Same here. Its called humanism.

Talk to your friend, politely at first. Something like "I know you have good intentions in trying to convert me, but its important you understand that I don't, and will never believe in your god. This just make me a bad person, just one who relies upon logic instead of faith. I am capable of making my own decisions regarding religion, and I'd like it if you'd respect that."

If that doesn't work, point out all the flaws in her logic, start - and win - a debate about religion, then never discuss it again. If she still persists, then friendship probably isn't the best path.