1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please, please help! Coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hmhdances, Feb 14, 2012.

1. hmhdances

hmhdances Guest

I need help on coming out as bisexual. I have came out to my friends I can trust, but I want to be able to tell my family. I have a gay uncle and my family accepts and loves him. Should I talk to him first and then come out? How do I know when it's necessary to come out to my parents? What do I say? I am afraid that if I tell my parents, they won't let me have sleepovers with my friends who are girls or have a lot of freedom with my friends. There is so much to consider. Also I need help with coming out in general. Like if someone came up to me in the hallway and asked, "I heard you are bisexual! Is it true?" how should I respond if I'm not ready to come out to everyone. My mother works at my school so if I start coming out to everyone, she will find out by other people. I don't want that. Also there are a couple lesbian/bisexual girls at the school and they don't get treated to well by others. They aren't very popular unlike me, so would I get treated even worse? I am cheerleading captain and everyone knows me, people I don't even know ask me how I am and about my personal life. (BTW I am not a mean girl.) Help me! Please!

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC!

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't talk to your uncle first, so long as he's somebody that you feel comfortable talking to. If you don't know him all that well, you can probably just skip over that step.

>>>Like if someone came up to me in the hallway and asked, "I heard you are bisexual! Is it true?" how should I respond if I'm not ready to come out to everyone

If it gets to the point where people are literally stopping you in the hall to ask if the rumor about you being bisexual is true, the secret is probably out, and there's not much use denying it at that point. But the chances of that happening are pretty minimal. You can't completely control who tells who, but if you're sticking with your closest friends, then it shouldn't exactly spread like wildfire. Just tell everybody you talk to "I'm telling you this because I feel you should know, and I'm letting more people know. But I'm still not ready to come completely out yet, so I'd rather you not tell anybody else just yet."

It's hard to say about your school dynamic. It may be that some people will draw away when they find out. It may be that popularity/cheerleading trumps sexuality, and they think you being bisexual is cool. :slight_smile: No real way of knowing. Just know that real friends (as you no doubt are finding out) don't care.

Lex