1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cell Phone Drama ((NOT WHAT YOU THINK!!!))

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MommaFrog, Feb 15, 2012.

1. MommaFrog

So, i am completely supported by my family, and that sucks.

My cell phone is payed for my dad who lives out of state, and because of that I have an out of state number...

I got a job recently, and they are requiring me to get a cell phone number that is local.

So, I ordered myself a cell, without telling my family....

Now, I'm scared of what they are going to do, and how i'm going to handle it.

They are going to tell me i'm being irresponsible, I'm wasting money. That i should spend that money on my daughter. Here's the thing, the cost of the phone monthly will be less than the money I will make working ONE SHIFT at work a month. AND I'll have more services and all than I do now. It will help me with work and school. I'm just scared.

I'm going to offer to pay off the contract my dad has out. I also plan on telling them I want something that is 100% mine and it will just make me feel better. They know I'm severely depressed. I never do anything for myself...

Ideas???

Help??

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think probably best if you approach them about it, rather than them just finding out, and explain about the job and stuff. Tell them that you appreciate all that they do for you but that you can afford this and explain that you have thought it through.

3. GoogieHowser

GoogieHowser Guest

shop around for the best rates too. if you're economically disadvantaged, there are some federal government programs that can help you out with a no-frills phone. if you go that route, it will look to your parents like you're trying to responsible and doing what your employer required

4. MommaFrog

I got the best price I could for what I got. I just told mom and she didn't argue too much, my dad did.

Now my mom's wigging out mad at me, no idea why tho... It's crazy, it has nothing to do with them... I don't understand why they have to make a huge deal of it...

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes parents can be like that. Im sorry it must be really tough on you. It might not even be related to the phone. Try to ignore it as best you can, you did the right thing just remember that. If people can accept that then thats their fault. Keep strong. Did you ask her why?

6. MommaFrog

I have not, she seems to have calmed down. It'll be ok. I'm in contract, and an adult, so she can't really do anything...

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, probably best to not get into discussions about it, as it said it might not even be related to your phone. At the end of the day, you needed the phone for the job and the job is important to you.

8. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do your work require that you ring them with this phone? Because, if they dont, you could just buy a phone and not put any credit on it.

Perhaps its too late for that now anyway, seeing as you've already bought the phone and told your parents.