1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could this be Social Anxiety??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DJNay, Feb 16, 2012.

1. DJNay

From Joburg, SA but now live in Brisbane, Aus
    So I have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Ive been told by psychologists that anxiety is associated with it. But i have this constist fear of talking to people, and starting conversations. Like when it comes to answering the phone, or the front door,if i dont know who it is or not expecting anyone i wont answer it. But it also happens with ppl i know, when i was in therapy, even though i knew my therapist / psychologists very well, just walking to their office i would feel a rush of emotion and fear and have to try force myself not to turn around and run away. i havent discussed any of this when i was in therapy because i felt too embarresssed :icon_redf. i get almost claustrophobic and angry at people sometimes if im in a busy area with lots of people aound, and i feel like im trapped and cant breath...

Any suggestions on what would help with this?? :help:

2. Jim1454

Talking about it will certainly help. And practicing. Take advantage of opportunities that are not particularly threatening to talk to someone. Initiate a conversation.

I can't really relate, so I don't know how difficult this is for you. But I would think that it is something you'll need to overcome somehow. Go back to your therapist and tell him honestly how you're feeling and how you're reacting. They're in the best position to help you.

3. Mogget

Social phobia isn't a diagnosis anyone at EC can make. Talk to your therapist about your social anxiety and see what they say.