1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explaining Transexualism To Family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Metal, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Metal

I have a strong urge to come out to my mother and step father through an email and i'm not very good at explaining things so i'm trying to find a good quote that explains what transexualism is in a very easy to understand manner for my parents to read. I live with them and could try to explain it to them in person but i'm too shy to talk about anything in person, I would just be telling them to check their email and then talk a walk outside or something.

Anybody know of a good quote that I could include in my email? I will probably chicken out but having this information will come in handy in the future for when I do.

Something easy to understand for someone to read who has no idea about ts people and what its like.

#1 Metal, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. Chandra

3. person54

I don't know about a good quote but maybe the simplest you could get is. I really believe that I am a girl and I want to live as a girl. They will probably ask tons of questions like why you feel that you're a girl, if you are sure you just aren't gay, they may even say that they do not believe you but no matter what you say or how you try to explain this you're parents are probably going to have tons of questions.

If they are already totally understanding then good for them and you, I hope it goes well for you if you decide to e-mail them

4. Katelynn

When I told my mum, I ended up answering a lot of questions, so instead of trying to explain what transsexualism is, I told her what I felt instead & explained why I felt this way. You can give your parents a definition of transsexualism, but it may not necessarily help them understand you. If you tell them how you feel & explain your feelings to them, it may be easier for them to understand. If you do need a more clarified definition tho, Wikipedia or sites like it may help to give you a better idea of what to say about transsexualism...